• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamate = Bad for Me?

I take a drug called Xyrem which is GHB. GHB elevates glutamate. I've been taking this drug for a couple years. I feel like my health got worse when I started taking this drug. My understanding is very limited, but from what I've read is seems glutathione precursors are bad in most cases.

I have Lyme Disease and some combination of folate and B12 deficiency. I've been treated for the Lyme, and right now I personally feel that Lyme isn't playing a role in what is keeping me so sick right now. The Lyme was treated with antibiotics, and what I'm left doesn't feel like Lyme. It feels like methylation issues.

My symptoms seem to be those of folate/b12 deficiency: itchy head, acne on forehead, join pain, fatigue, neuropathy, socially withdrawn, hypoacusis, poor memory, nothing going on in my head.

I'm +/+ for MTHFS and MTRR A66G. I read something about Fredd needing high doses of methylfolate possiblty due to MTHFS. Could this be a factor for me?

I can't seem to get rid of folate deficiency symptoms. I've taken a total of 30mg of methylfolate in a day, and I didn't feel all that different from say taking half that.

I respond well to methylb12. The first couple of days I experienced some brightening. I tend to have a craving for it. As soon as I put it under my tongue I feel an effect. I think I'm only getting the initial benefit of the B12. The B12 wears off quickly and so do the positive effects it brought. When I added in AdenoB12 I had some shocking sensations with overall increased sensitivity. Now when I take it it makes me extremely sleepy.

The first time I took 12.5mg of b-2 I felt amazing. I felt so much like my old self. My social anxiety dimished, I could think more clearly, I actually wanted to social. I just felt good. But then that all went away after a couple of hours. Now b-2 makes me feel sleepy.

I use a lot of magnesium oil which is magnesium chloride. From what I've read, it is because magnesium blocks the NMDA receptor. I would be so miserable without magnesium. Magnesium makes my nerves feels better, decreases my anxiety, and allows me to think more clearly. My Lyme doctor had told me to do Epsom salt baths to help detox the Lyme disease. These baths had been helpful since they assumingly were assisting my impaired detoxing. But now, I thinking they've mainly been beneficial because of the increased magnesium intake.

My doctor told me to take L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate. I don't fully understand what it is. I took it once and it made me feel a bit sick. It also seemed to turnoff a small bit of healing I had going on. I've been reluctant to continue it. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Could Xyrem be a problem for me? If this drug is elevating glutamate then that's a problem, right?

Last edited:

Martial

Glutamate is neuro toxic, However Lyme takes a long time to treat in late stages and co infections also need to be taken care of, this would cause you to not respond to methylation as well until its out o your system. I hope you are taking equal amounts of methyl b12 and the folate, you can't take one without the other or you will create a deficiency of the one you do not take, and it won't even be absorbed properly. Healing and methylation is a very up and down thing, sometimes you have to just ride out the healing crisis times, or symptoms that feel negative. If you are deficient in the first place you do need to build up effective and strong levels again anyways. Read my Signature for a more detailed explanation on Fred's protocol it should help!

I hope you are taking equal amounts of methyl b12 and the folate, you can't take one without the other or you will create a deficiency of the one you do not take, and it won't even be absorbed properly.

I'm not taking one without the other. I've been taking 5mg of methylb12 with a smaller amount of AdoCbl. Why do I need to take equal amounts? Is this no longer correct?

There are no fixed ratios.
With 1mg of AdoCbl and 1mg of MeCbl each held for 1-2 hours against oral mucosa, one
could end up with 200-400 mcg or more absorbed. This is enough to turn on all layers of
healing except CNS for many of us. A start of methylfolate of 800mcg or less will usually
produce a burst of healing on a couple of layers that then demands more folate than the
body has easily available and so shorts other layers to supply the ones that are healing
causing paradoxical folate insufficiency. So one titrates methylfolate until the insufficiency
symptoms go away. This is usually between 1600mcg and 20-30mg depending upon how
one reacts to other folates and B1, b2, b3.

I have a feeling Lyme isn't as big of a factor now. It was assumed it was. The doctor told me I was going to be feeling great by summer about of couple years ago. (because the Lyme would be gone.) I didn't feel great because methylation issues started surfacing. I think my doctor is attributing methylation related things to Lyme to some degree. He doesn't have a great handling on methylation since it's a new area for everyone. I was overmethylated then taken off of methylation protocol for at least a year. Then he starts me up on just hydroxy12 which made me even worse.

I've only been on Freddd's protocol for about a week. I was supplementing potassium, but taking the potassium was making me sick not related to healing. I haven't taken potassium the past two days; I don't have any Potassium deficiency symptoms.

My main concern is whether or not excess glutamate from Xyrem is a problem.

IF taking Glutathione, NAC, Cerefolin-NAC, whey, all glutathione or glutathione precursors
AND often sudden onset of several group 3 symptoms (Detox) maybe in a sequence, ie pain and inflammation the first day, cheilitis occurs on day 2-3 and IBS on day 5-6, plus any group 2 symptoms. Symptoms increase in both quantity and intensity for weeks or months and can vary from mild to extreme. They do not go away when glutathione/NAC are stopped and may continue for up to at least 6 months despite daily doses of Metafoil, mb12 and adb12.

Last edited: