Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Getting tested for CMV, EBV & HHV6

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by LivingwithFibro, Jul 18, 2018.

1. LivingwithFibro

LivingwithFibro Lily

Hi everyone. I've had M.E since I was 6. I'm 23 now. I'm thinking of getting these tests done soon as I have recurring infections every other week. Apart from this list do you think it's worth getting tested for Coxsackie (and if so which tests?)

Here are the tests I'm getting done which are available here. Please let me know your input. Screenshot_2018-07-18-15-35-11.png

ErdemX and Forçe e Honra like this.
  2. LivingwithFibro

LivingwithFibro Lily

3. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    I'm not familiar with the lab, but if they do those tests properly, they should identify if you have these viruses as long as they're not hiding in your tissues.

4. Markus83

Markus83

Do you have to pay for the tests? And the price in this list, which currency is it?

If you have so often infections, it would be important to see an immunologist to rule out immundefects (for example IgG subclasses). Immunodeficiencies can also be the cause of chronic fatigue.

Learner1 likes this.
  5. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I think IgM is more important than IgG when determining active infection.

6. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Yes, but only if it's an acute (first time) infection.

Years later, the combination of test results informs the diagnosis. Too many of us have had chronic or reactivated infections missed because some narrow minded doctor only looks for IgM.

Forçe e Honra likes this.
  7. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    If you're @LivingwithFibro, it would be good to also test Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (if you haven't done so already). There have been some studies that have shown some good results with Herpes Simplex treatment for fibro.

Forçe e Honra likes this.
  8. sufferingwithme

sufferingwithme

Curious about Coxachie, isn't that test done in a specialty lab, and only in the US?

See more popular forum discussions.