• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting tested for CMV, EBV & HHV6

Hi everyone. I've had M.E since I was 6. I'm 23 now. I'm thinking of getting these tests done soon as I have recurring infections every other week. Apart from this list do you think it's worth getting tested for Coxsackie (and if so which tests?)

Here are the tests I'm getting done which are available here. Please let me know your input.
Screenshot_2018-07-18-15-35-11.png

Learner1

I'm not familiar with the lab, but if they do those tests properly, they should identify if you have these viruses as long as they're not hiding in your tissues.

Markus83

Do you have to pay for the tests? And the price in this list, which currency is it?

If you have so often infections, it would be important to see an immunologist to rule out immundefects (for example IgG subclasses). Immunodeficiencies can also be the cause of chronic fatigue.

drob31

I think IgM is more important than IgG when determining active infection.

Learner1

Yes, but only if it's an acute (first time) infection.

Years later, the combination of test results informs the diagnosis. Too many of us have had chronic or reactivated infections missed because some narrow minded doctor only looks for IgM.

Wonkmonk

If you're @LivingwithFibro, it would be good to also test Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (if you haven't done so already). There have been some studies that have shown some good results with Herpes Simplex treatment for fibro.