• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feedback on methylation protocol: results?

Adlyfrost

Such a popular and well-written about protocol- feels almost like blasphemy to ask if it is working! Especially with all the trillions of posts here of people trying to tweak therapy to their genes and spending an enormous time investment in therapy and research.... but I have to ask:

How do you (those who are doing the treatment for a while now) feel?

Thanks!

Victronix

It definitely does work for those who need it, but I don't think everyone has to do every part of it, and not everyone can. I tried for a full year to do the folate, even tiny tiny amounts, and couldn't manage it. But B-12 and other parts of it have worked for me and were critical to being able to function. I also have never tried carnitine because of being too sensitive. And now I have peri-menopause, so everything is going haywire. You just have to try it and see.

PeterPositive

Due to high homocysteine I started supplementing B vitamins back in 2012 but I was horribly sensitive to them and had to start very slowly. I was given a B complex with folic acid which I continued for over a year with some improvements.

I got my genetic results in Nov 2013, showing several folate and B12 issues (mthfr c677t+/+, mthfs +/+ etc...) and got started on methylfolate and methyl-B12. I got another improvement there but I think the largest improvement came in May-June (this year) when I finally added adeno-B12 to the mix. Energy has improved significantly, mood and sleep too.

I still have a ton of digestive issues to deal with and recently found out elevated HPL (pyroluria) ... so I still have a long way to go...

ahmo

@Adlyfrost I'm now about 1.5 years on Freddd's Protocol. It returned me to the land of the living. It brought me calm, and resolved lifelong insomnia. My mental capacity has returned, my nervous system better than it's been in my life. My physical energy lags behind, but slowly is improving. It's made me realize that the physical limitations were nothing compared to my neurological impairment.

Did I need my genetic profile? Yes and no. I already had found I had histamine ans sulfur problems before beginning FP/. I needed to treat for that. I could have done so w/o genetic testing.

ljimbo423

Methylation has helped more than anything else I have tried in the last 7 years. Having said that, I am still only functioning at about 30-40%. Like "PeterPositive", I too have digestive issues that still need attention. I think the digestive issues are what's holding me back now.

Dysbiosis and Leaky gut I think are adding toxins faster than my body can process and get rid of them. So doing the methylation protocol with dysbiosis and a leaky gut is like trying to put out a fire by dumping a bucket of water and a bucket of gas on it at the same time. :)

I don't think I can expect to speed the methylation cycle up fast enough to clear the toxins, and probably shouldn't try. My primary focus now is on clearing dysbiosis and healing my leaky gut, to lower my bodies toxic load and lower the burden on the methylation cycle. Methylation has helped me tremendously though. All the best---- Jim

Last edited:

Adlyfrost

@ahmo thanks for that link!!!

@ljimbo423 and @PeterPositive : a chicken broth based mostly liquid diet plus nystatin has healed my leaky gut 90%. (I know cuz my once white tongue is pink again). Gut has also ALWAYS been the worst for me. I also do a psylium-based gut-mopping every night to cleanse my colon. Really helps but not enough to regain my energy completely... perhaps if coupled with methylation I could.

Good luck with your gut issues and glad to hear this working for you.

Last edited: