Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Favorite electrolyte drinks?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by RebeccaRe, Feb 19, 2018.

1. RebeccaRe

RebeccaRe Moose Enthusiast

Massachusetts
    I've recently been advised to increase my fluid intake, and start drinking electrolyte drinks (preferably with lots of sodium in them). So now I'm on the search for a good electrolyte drink! Do you all have any favorite electrolyte drinks that you'd recommend? That don't taste awful??

I don't want to drink anything that's really sugary (I figure I'm not expending lots of calories on hard exercise, so I'm looking for something that's low sugar or sugar-free. And I'd prefer something that's not neon colored (it's just weird to drink something that's bright neon blue!). To start with I got a small container of orange flavored Ultima Replenisher Electrolyte Powder, which is sweetened with stevia, but it only has 5 mg sodium. It's not terrible, but I have to dilute it pretty heavily or else the flavor is unpleasantly strong.

I welcome your suggestions!

2. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I mix my own. Sea salt, little bicarb, C salts (vitamin C), potassium if needed, sometimes add Calm magnesium. Then add lime or lemon and Stevia, or dilute OJ. Since I need a ton of salt, that is easiest.

If I buy something like Ultima, I add salt.

jason30 likes this.
  3. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Taste Nirvana coconut water.

4. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    I mostly just make up tea (regular and herbal) with salt and potassium and go by taste. I quite like celestial seasonings "bengal spice" mixed with some rooibos, or hibiscus with a bit of ginger.

The usual concentration at the moment is high 1tsp salt 1tsp potassium chloride 1 litre herbal tea. But there are times, this morning, when that does not taste salty enough and I add more and times, last night, where it seems too strong.

I also sometimes add a little magnesium.

I have had some success with Oral Rehydration Solutions. The old WHO formulation was 20g glucose to 3.5g salt 1.5g potassium chloride and 2.5g sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) but I cannot handle that much glucose so I make it up with 12.5g amino acids in place of the glucose.

ORS works because we have sodium glucose symporters in our intestines that work by transporting one sodium ion and one molecule of glucose at the same time. There are other transporters that work the same way but with amino acids instead of glucose. A mix of aminos is probably best, I have used glycine, glutamine, arginine and Essential Amino Acids.

At the moment I am not making up exact mixtures, and just add some aminos to one or two litres of the salted tea per day.

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I've tried different commercial ones from ElectroMix to Pedialite. When I really need the electrolytes I opt for Pedialyte Unflavored (not the brand name but the knockoffs from pharm chains like Walgreens). The flavored versions are disgusting to me.

Mel9 likes this.
  6. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I take Basica Active E twice a day and more when in PEM.

Sushi likes this.
  7. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I've been drinking Vitalyte for over 20 years. It used to be called Gookinaid, named for the developer Bill Gookin. I prefer this to plain water also, although I'd say only about half my fluid intake comes from Vitalyte.

Dr. Cheney recommended Vitalyte for electrolyte replacement:
    https://www.dailystrength.org/group...sion/cfs-patients-have-70-normal-blood-volume
    From the March 2001 issue of the Cheney Clinic Online Newsletter
    Vitalyte: 68mg Sodium / 92mg Potassium / 10g carbs
    http://www.vitalyte.com/products/electrolyte-replacement/zesty-orange-kilo-jar.html

There's also a thread here about making your own electrolyte replacement drink:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/electrolyte-rehydration-recipes-ingredients.3900/

8. RebeccaRe

RebeccaRe Moose Enthusiast

Massachusetts
    I can see why they changed the name...Gookinade doesn't quite roll off the tongue! Is there a particular flavor of Vitalyte that you like?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! This gives me a lot of options to investigate.

9. E.man

E.man Senior Member

Bega Valley , Australia
    Any ideas for commonly available ones in Australia ?

10. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

Basica (see above) is available in Australia

See more popular forum discussions.