• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Electrolyte / Rehydration Recipes / Ingredients?

dannybex

Hello out there...

Has anyone made their own electrolyte concoction to help address low blood volume, dehydration, etc?

I've been searching the past couple of days for a good "safe" electrolyte replacement / rehydration product, a la Cheney's ancient Gookinaid recipe, to help with low blood volume, orthostatic intolerance, cramps, twitching spasms, etc., -- but so far can't seem to find one that doesn't have some sort of artificially sweetened/colored/flavored junk in it.

The closest I came to one was a formula developed by NASA for astronauts who experience low blood volume upon returning to earth (an estimated 80% of them).

"To help address this concern, astronauts traditionally tried to rehydrate before and after landing by taking salt tablets with water. (Sodium helps regulate extracellular fluid volume.) This method, though, proved inconvenient and unpleasant for the astronauts, as well as impractical in space where water supplies are limited. The high levels of sodium in the tablets could even lead to greater dehydration if not managed carefully.

After years of extensive Agency research and testing, Ames Research Center physiologist Dr. John Greenleaf developed and patented a better alternative: an electrolyte concentrate composed of a specific ratio of sodium chloride and sodium citrate. The isotonic formula, containing optimal proportions of water and salts for absorption into the body, provides for fast, easy, and effective rehydration in amounts practical for use in space. Astronauts currently use the patented formula on missions."

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2009/hm_9.html

Yes, we're not up in space, but the recipe has been tweaked for use by Earth dwellers...

The tweaked recipe sounds generally ideal -- with one major flaw -- the commercial version ("The Right Stuff") has Splenda (Sucralose) in it, which is a synthetic frankenfood made from sugar and CHLORINE. Some folks may tolerate this, but a quick google search will turn up horror stories that sound like symptoms of fibro and CFS/ME. I was given some Pedialyte a few years ago when I got some sort of stomach flu, and wolfed it down. When I woke up the next day I was in pain from head to toe, literally. It was then that I saw that Splenda was one of the ingredients. And they give this stuff to babies...oy.

It's worth noting that that the original NASA formula did not contain Splenda/Sucralose -- that was just added to the commercial product "The Right Stuff".

Anyway, the ingredients are:

Filtered Water
Sea Salt - Electrolytes (Sodium & Chloride) - NASA patented blend
Sodium Citrate - Electrolytes (Sodium & Citrate) - NASA patented blend
Citric Acid - For flavor, to help offset saltiness and also natural preservative

and then "the Right Stuff" added the Sucralose and flavors, preservatives.

That's one formulation...

Then there's Recup-eration, the formulation developed by Alfred Blasi, that has:

Sodium citrate
Potassium chloride
Sodium chloride
and smaller amouts of...
Magnesium carbonate
Calcium phosphate

...which one adds to water.

I used to take use this -- it was surprisingly helpful, and the little packets lasted forever -- but it can only be purchased from Spain (or was it Italy) -- so it was pretty costly, so I ran out a year or two back and forgot about it until now.

Mark London wasn't so sure about Recup's effects, but acknowledged that "some of Recuperat-ion’s beneficial effects, may be due to the alkalinizing property of sodium citrate, which will then increase calcium and magnesium retention."

http://stuff.mit.edu/people/london/RRR.html

I remember reading about how some folks had made their own, so that made me wonder if anyone here knows how one would go about making their own -- any recipes out there? -- and also if anyone knows where one could buy things like 'sodium citrate' or these other ingredients?

Any ideas? Any cooks in the P-R Kitchen? :Retro smile:

Dan

p.s. Here's a link to a couple of recipes for homemade Gookinaid -- looks like the Gookinaid link is down...maybe they stopped selling it?:

http://www.dfwcfids.org/healing/gokhmbrw.htm

flybro

Cheers for this danny,

I live in the UK and there are sachas of Diorolyte electrolite drink, from the Doc and the pharmacy/Chemsits I think.

Its an electrolyte given after poorly belly to replace elctrolites.

They natural flavourone diluted in 200ml of water tastes ok, u cud add juice if u wanted to.

The blancurrant flavour one is prtetty gross.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Dioralyte is definitly the stuff you need. The balance of minerals and glucose is the optimum for rehydration and there is no other junk provided you get the plain flavour. It has different names in different parts of the world so it is probably sold in teh US with another name. If you cannot find it you could mix up your own version of the ingredients in teh same proportion. You have to get exactly the right amount of water as well as the right proportions of electrolytes and glucose.

This stuff saved my life when I caught cholera in Turkey so I can guarantee is it EXTEMELY effective. Cholera makes you die of dehydration unless you can keep up rehydration therapy to compensate. The Turkish hospital offered to put me on a drip with a used needle which they assured me would be HIV free because they "don't have HIV in Turkey" so I fled and just drank a pint of dioralyte every ten minutes for six weeks till I got better.

dannybex

Danny, I just picked this up today: http://stores.homestead.com/BiopureHealingProducts/Detail.bok?no=14

I have felt sick as hell all day. Maybe I took too much.

I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on the product/ingredients etc.

Hi BigDreams,

Interesting product. I'm not a scientist in any sense of the word, but I just wonder why the phosphorus content is twice as high as any of the other ingredients. It's my understanding that while it's important, we get a lot of phosphorus from meats, fish, etc., so I think that's why there's a need to balance that with more sodium, potassium, calcium & magnesium. I think... :)

Like Dreambirdie, you could try tweaking it a bit on your own...maybe don't take as much, and/or add a little more sodium to it...and see if that makes you feel better?

dannybex

What about Emergen-C Lite? That's what I use. It has a good dose of potassium in it, which is what I usually need more than sodium. If I feel the need for more sodium then I will add a few pinches of sea salt as well.

http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-Emergen...k-Mix-30-Packets-0-1-oz-3-7g-Per-Packet/17947

Yes, we're all different, so some will need more potassium, others more sodium. I've never tried the Emergen-C products, as they used to have a lot of extra artificial stuff in them, but I seem to recall that the original owner/creator of the company bought the company back as she had become so frustrated and disappointed that this was happening. So it looks like they've removed the artificial stuff.

I'm living on pennies however, so can't even afford that...I guess that's part of the reason I started this thread...wondering if we could come up with a cheapo recipe that we could alter to our own needs. The ingredients -- the salts, minerals -- must be really cheap -- so I have a feeling if we could find a source for them, we could mix up our own brew for 1/100th of the cost???

:Retro smile:

dannybex

Dioralyte

Thanks FlyBro and Athene for the info on Dioralyte -- that looks like a pretty good 'natural' product. And it's interesting that they include glucose to help the body absorb the electrolytes. I've read that before in several places...that glucose or some sort of carb is helpful. On the flip side, that NASA recipe didn't include any sugars/carbs...so who knows!? :confused:

Anyway...thanks to all! I'll see if I can find some sources for these ingredients...maybe others can chime in too.

2bushes

Hi Dan,

I tried the Blasi forumla. It made my blood pressure go sky high. I now use a sprinkling of sea salt, a dash of potassium chloide in a 16 oz glass of water a few times a day. I do use Pedialite plain once in a while as well. We are all differrnt so I guess see what works best for you.

Is that you in your avatar?

Margaret

silicon

Hello out there...

Has anyone made their own electrolyte concoction to help address low blood volume, dehydration, etc?

I've been searching the past couple of days for a good "safe" electrolyte replacement / rehydration product, a la Cheney's ancient Gookinaid recipe, to help with low blood volume, orthostatic intolerance, cramps, twitching spasms, etc., -- but so far can't seem to find one that doesn't have some sort of artificially sweetened/colored/flavored junk in it.

Any ideas? Any cooks in the P-R Kitchen? :Retro smile:

Dan

p.s. Here's a link to a couple of recipes for homemade Gookinaid -- looks like the Gookinaid link is down...maybe they stopped selling it?:

Dan,

For what its worth, I once saw a description of home-made Gookinaid, that years ago I copied down from the Dallas-Fort Worth CFS site. I often take a version of this, but never approached their recommended 4-8 glasses per day. I also found a link that seems to work:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...khmbrw.htm+gookinaid&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"Another option would be a HomeBrew mixture of sea salt and "No Salt". [HomeBrew: one cup of filtered or spring water, 1/8 teaspoon of Sea Salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of "No Salt" salt substitute (potassium). Add lime juice or an herbal teabag as well as stevia for taste.] Four to eight glasses of Hydralate (Gookinaid) or HomeBrew are recommended.
Why is potassium in these drinks? Potassium induces Aldosterone , a hormone that significantly increases blood volume

silicon

Thanks FlyBro and Athene for the info on Dioralyte -- that looks like a pretty good 'natural' product. And it's interesting that they include glucose to help the body absorb the electrolytes. I've read that before in several places...that glucose or some sort of carb is helpful. On the flip side, that NASA recipe didn't include any sugars/carbs...so who knows!? :confused:

Anyway...thanks to all! I'll see if I can find some sources for these ingredients...maybe others can chime in too.

Pedialyte may be something to consider (and is available at some supermarkets):

INGREDIENTS
Unflavored Liquid: (Pareve, (U)) Water, dextrose; Less than 2% of: potassium citrate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, and citric acid.
Unflavored Liquid Provides:
Per Liter
Sodium (mEq)...45
Potassium (mEq)...20
Chloride (mEq)...35
Dextrose (g)...25
Energy (Cal)...100
Per 8 fl oz
Sodium (mEq)...10.6
Potassium (mEq)...4.7
Chloride (mEq)...8.3
Dextrose (g)...5.9
Energy (Cal)...24

http://www.allegromedical.com/dieta...tenance-solution-1-liter-bottles-p190321.html

L'engle

moogle
Cocoa has a lot of potassium. I drink sea salt and dulse in a bit of hot/warm water in the morning. I drink cocoa at night to lower the blood pressure for when I want to lie down. Trying to balance Orthostatic hypotension (not enough salt) with supine hypertension (too much salt). Dulse is apparently a well balanced electrolyte so goes well with sea salt.

I tried kelp salt, but it honestly tastes like ocean and I've heard it may have too much potassium for those with weak adrenals. It made me feel kind of weird, but I think I may have gotten some energy from taking a little.

Anyway, kelp salt's no flavour treat, while the sea salt and dulse combination is actually quite pleasant, as long as you don't use more than a couple of gulps of water in it, so it tastes like a small serving of soup, rather than water with stuff in it.

anne_likes_red

I'm late to the party....must have missed this one. You're probably not looking anymore Dan but I'll put the recipe I use up here anyway:

(This recipe is from an Autism group. They consider it pretty much the first step before starting to detox mercury, or start any protocol - even a change in diet - that could stimulate any detox.)

To make 4 cups (1 litre):
Either 2Tbsp honey or 1/3 cup pure grape juice. Make up to 1 cup of liquid with water. You may need hot water to dissolve the honey. Then add 1/4 teaspoon potassium chloride (I use Now Foods brand) and 1/4 teaspoon aluminium free bicarbinate of soda. (Add sea salt too if it suits you.) Then mix well and make up to one litre. Store in the fridge and drink during the day. Some people add liquid minerals but if you're already taking a good supplement there's probably no need to.

PS I find the honey too sweet. Much prefer the grape juice :)

Hi,

This is an old post but I'm interested is anyone knows the actual ratios of the Blasi salts. Personally, Re-cup works extremely well for me however the cost is just crazy.

I've been trying to replicate the product and the base ingredients are pretty straight forward and the elemental amounts are also clear (http://lassesen.com/cfids/alfred_blasi.htm), however I just cant seem to get the same results. I guess the main thing is working out the ratio of sodium citrate to sodium chloride.

Anyone have any insight in this?

The thing that works for me is tomato juice, yes just plain old tomato juice. I buy the cheap one from the supermarket that has salt added, but salt is the only thing that has been added.

I was getting migraine like headaches in the afternoons, and after reading Cort's blog on low blood volume, gave it a try. I drink it diluted in the afternoons (about 1/3 juice to 2/3 water) whenever I'm thirsty. The headaches are now gone.

This blog 'briefly' mentions tomato juice in the section under the 'salt' heading:

http://www.cortjohnson.org/treating...onic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-and-fibromyalgia/

And this is the blog that sparked my interest as it linked migraine like headaches to blood flow:

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...roblems-whack-brain-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Last edited: