• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue since starting methyl folate

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Martial I haven't started the Mfolate yet. I started something else this week and I need to make sure I'm not having problems with that. Once that is set I can move on to the next thing.

I think I may have figured out my fatigue. I'll let you know tomorrow if I'm right. Whenever I feel like this it's always because of something I'm taking that I'm having a reaction to.

caledonia

There is a lot to getting it down right if you are taking it for methylation support, I would suggest reading the posts by @caledonia for proper methylation treatment plans, she has made several great threads and has the links on her sig.

I believe it is called roadblocks to methylation, and start low go slow.. Definitely one of the more well versed persons in methylation treatment I have come across!

Also look into MTHFR.NET, or The work of Freddd and Rich Van Frank would be immensely helpful, be aware that there is some conflicting info between different people though.

Just chiming in here so you can see the links in my signature that Martial is referring to.

Martial

@Martial I haven't started the Mfolate yet. I started something else this week and I need to make sure I'm not having problems with that. Once that is set I can move on to the next thing.

I think I may have figured out my fatigue. I'll let you know tomorrow if I'm right. Whenever I feel like this it's always because of something I'm taking that I'm having a reaction to.

Sounds good Minkey, curious to know what it is! I had horrible reaction to something called Zeolite today, gave me the worse headache and weirdest feeling in my life lol.. It is a natural ammonia de toxer but I am not gonna use it again, way too intense lol

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Martial I've heard of zeolite. Crazy reaction.

I have not figured out what is clobbering me right now. I've eliminated new stuff and nothing so now I move onto stuff I've been taking and see if it went haywire.

There is only one thing I take every night. If it's my trazodone I'm screwed. Besides how much it helps me I have to withdraw from it. The last time this happened it was tizanidine.

Glad you figured yours out so quickly.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I take potassium gluconate and tolerate it with no problem (200 mg. twice a day with meals), no digestive or any other problem. But potassium citrate irritated my bladder and I think gave me a bladder infection.

So a lot depends on what type of potassium you take.

Mary
It can also depend on the amount you take. I take 300 mg of potassium 4x/day. Three of them with meals and one with a electrolyte solution between meals. Three, including the electrolyte solution, are potassium gluconate. One is a mix of potassium forms. I sometimes have digestive problems.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Martial Can I take too much potassium? I"m still clobbered with fatigue. This is a new level for me. I just don't want to add another problem. I'm still not taking the Mfolate yet. This would be to just try to help with the fatigue. I'm taking a stab in the dark here. Looking for anything that might help.

Martial

@Martial Can I take too much potassium? I"m still clobbered with fatigue. This is a new level for me. I just don't want to add another problem. I'm still not taking the Mfolate yet. This would be to just try to help with the fatigue. I'm taking a stab in the dark here. Looking for anything that might help.

You can try up to 3,000g of the potassium a day, each serving yeilding around 300g like you said? The RDV is 4,000g so its hard to over do it. There is risk of hyperkalemia which is the same as hypokalemia if you over do it. However with only 3,000g extra supplemented potassium a day that is pretty hard to do, especially since your body can excrete excess potassium as needed, unlike hypokalemia where there is none.

The risk there is biggest for people with kidney problems really, you haven't taken the m folate yet? So right now it is just the Hb12 right? Really you shouldn't require that much potassium from a small dose of HB12 alone, is there any other possible sources for the fatigue? How is your magnesium levels, do you supplement for it? If intra cellular mag levels are low you will not hold on to adequate potassium.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
The fatigue came out of the blue about a week ago I think. Usually when I feel like this, it's something a medication I'm taking but I'm not having any luck figuring it out. I'm still working on it. I also wonder if it's my sinus infection but the last time I was not this clobbered from it. But you never know.

I wanted to try the potassium because other's have said it helps with their fatigue.

I'm on 1000 mcg MB12 and HB12. But I'm so out of it I can look right at the bottle of potassium on the counter and forget to take it LOL. Like just now! So I'm not sure how much I'd be able to take.

I'm basically grasping at straws trying to figure this out. I'm literally in a fog.

Martial

The fatigue came out of the blue about a week ago I think. Usually when I feel like this, it's something a medication I'm taking but I'm not having any luck figuring it out. I'm still working on it. I also wonder if it's my sinus infection but the last time I was not this clobbered from it. But you never know.

I wanted to try the potassium because other's have said it helps with their fatigue.

I'm on 1000 mcg MB12 and HB12. But I'm so out of it I can look right at the bottle of potassium on the counter and forget to take it LOL. Like just now! So I'm not sure how much I'd be able to take.

I'm basically grasping at straws trying to figure this out. I'm literally in a fog.

Well a sinus infection can mess someone up pretty bad, I think it would be worth introducing at least a small amount of methyl folate if you are using that dose.. You will not really absorb it much otherwise, potassium again just some servings through out the day.

Try to do 300 to 600g at a time and space it out to reach 1,000-3,000g a day

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm pretty sure the fatigue is from the immune modulator I started. I was having flu-like symptoms from it so this makes sense. I've had a sinus infection before and this fatigue is way worse than that, and this is bad.

I'm reluctant to add something new to the mix although I have been tossing around a low dose of Mfolate. I'll see how I feel at the end of the week. Then @Martial I'll be back to ask you questions since as soon as I read what you tell me I forget! Love the ME brain. Maybe this will stick.

undcvr

@Mary I had tried Freddd's but felt really bad and didn't know what to do so I stopped.

@Martial suggested I get the potassium to have when I start my Mfolate.

I did just take some potassium, whatever 1/2 tsp is. I'll keep at it and see if it helps. I have a few things going on now I think so it's hard to figure out what is what. Brain fog, sinus infection, air hunger. I love when they all hit at once.

Can I put the potassium in iced tea? I didn't care much for the taste.

Are you anemic? You mentioned 'air hunger'. There is a subset of CFS pple who feel that they cannot breathe enough and that they do no have enough oxygen. It is more common than people think. Did the Potassium help?