Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Exploding Head Syndrome (!)

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Cort, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Well this is a new one!

Yes, it's another sleep disorder - albeit one I'd never heard of.

From WebMd

Causes: Minor seizures, middle ear problems and (the inevitable) stress or anxiety'

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorde...Qa4fEhFleSkN6zzHj7ha@HnVev1imbCsdjqQXTh/eU=#1

2Cor.12:9, Wayne, BadBadBear and 2 others like this.
  2. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Well, our neighbors DO build bombs and blow them off around bedtime (thank goodness, usually not often after 10 PM). Now I am not sure if it's ME or them! :D

But yes, I am pretty sure I've asked my partner more than once what that noise was, and he SAYS there wasn't anything. Next time, I'll just tell him my head exploded.

Wishful, Cort and lafarfelue like this.
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

4. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    This used to happen to my ex. He described the sound as a gunshot as he would fall to sleep. Strange.

BadBadBear likes this.
  5. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

Not a sound, imaginary or not, but sometimes when I'm laying there, I'll get a kind of spasm, like being shocked. No stress or anxiety involved. Maybe just a neuron misfiring. It might be the same syndrome. Not troublesome enough to bother about though.

6. kurt

kurt Senior Member

Syracuse, Utah, USA
    I get this sometimes, a loud pop. Usually while the brain is shutting down at night. I sometimes get the sound when waking up as well. Really wierd. I have wondered if there is a gland of some kind in the head that opens and closes and can make noise. Or maybe something in the ear or sinuses when we relax. Possibly just neurological noise from uneven release of ions in the nerves.

pattismith and BadBadBear like this.
  7. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Like a hypnic jerk? => https://www.livescience.com/39225-why-people-twitch-falling-asleep.html

Wishful, PatJ and pattismith like this.
  8. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

Yup, hypnic jerks is probably correct. I see there's no real treatment, but I rarely experience it, so I won't worrry about it. Thanks for the correct term though.

BadBadBear likes this.
  9. 2Cor.12:9

2Cor.12:9 Senior Member

@Cort - Arghhh...... I had this for awhile when I first got sick 32 yrs ago. Only recently learned what it was. It totally freaked me out- Sounded like a bomb exploding inside my head while I was sleeping. I thought I had a ruptured aneurysm or something - but then I guess I woulda been dead- :0
    Definitely one of the weirder symptoms I've had.

See more popular forum discussions.