• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor has prescribed Glutathione/NAC--but this site says not advisable...help?

Hi Everyone:

I'm in month 2 of treatment for brain fog/depression/fatigue, though still work,exercise.
Currently taking 1.25 mg Methyl B12(injection), 1600 mcg methylfolate(oral).

My doctor(DAN) wants to bump up the B12 dose (double) and has prescribed 7.5 mg Deplin and Leucoverin. Also, both glutathione nasal spray and NAC. It has been verified that I have low levels of glutathione(the Dutch test, can't remember its name).

However, I see this posted on this forum:

THINGS TO AVOID
Glutathione and glutathione precursors such as NAC and glutamine, undenatured whey. The glutathione induces immediate active b12 deficiencies, apparently by converting active methylb12 to inactive glutathionylb12 and rapidly excreting it. This then causes the methylfolate to be dumped from the cells in a process called the "methyl trap". This leads to a high serum folate but a low cellular folate causing a severe folate deficiency with increasingly severe symptoms over time. This is often mistakenly called "detox". NAC can produce these same folate and b12 deficiencies also misidentified as "detox"

Is this statement supported by studies? If so, can someone supply references? Or is this theoreticall? I'm not keen to ignore my doctor's advice, but if this is just something he doesn't know about, then I could pass the information on.

Regards.

Whitmore.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
whitmore

The post you quoted is one opinion. Others have had good experience with the right forms of glutathione and NAC and this is not a subject where there is agreement--either among patients or doctors.

A personal trial may give you the best feedback on how these work (or don't work) for you.

Best wishes,
Sushi