• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did taking SAM-e help anybody?

Like the title says did it?
Has anyone took it after focusing on b12 and proved effective ?
If i go ahead and buy it should i take it together ?

Thanks !

stridor

I took SAMe and TMG in the spring of 2012 and it created the worst soul-sucking depression of my life. I used to have Bipolar, so I know depression and this one was one of my worst.
I stopped taking this and a month later started mB12 and mfolate and it was like someone turned on the lights.

SAMe is helpful to many. But it is not suitable for all.

PeterPositive

I've taken it for a couple of weeks in 2012 (200mg/day) and again a couple of weeks in 2013 (400mg/day) with no signifcant improvements and it added some digestive issues, which went away after I quit it.

I had high hopes especially for histamine related issues but it didn't make any differences.

I agree with @stridor, it may work for some folks but not everyone.

cheers

whodathunkit

I think it can be useful as a symptom reliever. It helped give me more "even" energy for a little while when I was getting started with Freddd's methylation protocol, but after a couple of weeks kind of seemed to string me out a bit. I stopped it and haven't gone back.

Based on my experience and what I've read of other's experiences with it here, I'd say it's probably of limited usefulness, at least to people with moderate to severe fatigue and other ME/CFS symptoms.

I would not start off with SAMe and B12. Probably better off just experimenting with the B12 and reading up on potential side effects of that. And also giving some real thought to what your goals are in attempting to take B12, and how you can address any side effects that might crop up from taking it.

Sam-e was the first "thing" I tried on my long path.
Was awesome for me. Basically- take it before going to bed, then have "jump outta bed" type energy upon waking. Also a sharpness, a clear-headedness that I hadn't experienced before...

Unfortunately, this feeling only lasted a few weeks. I think I adapted to it.
-Then learned about methylation, and other things and have been working on other things...
Now, when I occasionally try Sam-e, I don't get that same "jump start" as before. I still take TMG every once in a while, but not sure if it helps...

--- fyi, I don't even know if I have CFS, but many of the things I've learned here have helped with fatigue and etc...
sorry- not a lot of help in my post. Just posting to note that Sam-E worked great for me at first, but then not so much after...
Jimmy