• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diazepam Experiment

andyguitar

You have got the general idea @TreePerson. The research paper i refer to is a problem because it contains scientific proof that one Serotonin Release Agent in particular causes serious problems in an area of the brain that, when inflammed, will give rise to the kind of neurological symptoms ME/CFS patients get. The effect can last for 4 years. As I said when Serotonin is not disposed of properly it creates hydrogen peroxide. If I give the name of it you would understand the problem. I cant list all the supplements that increase Serotonin or tell you how they all work in combination. But here is some: Valerian, Passiflora, Ginkgo biloba, Rue, St Johns Wort, Vit C, Bioflavanoids, 5-HTP, Tryptophan, some probiotics. Vit B6 and other B vitamins can also have an effect. As it is not possible to be certain about all the vast range of things people take I would treat ALL supplements with caution. What @Wishful says is very interesting. One chemical I have been looking at is Indole. This is produced when Tryptophan is turned into Serotonin. What is relevant here is that Indole has what the boffins call "an affinity for" the Serotonin transporter SERT. Get the picture? There is a medicinal plant that can inhibit this process. It's white peony if i remember correctly. Be careful with this sort of stuff though as some of these types of plants can be toxic. Seen that plant in a very old chinese remedy for..... Fatigue! How the hell did they work that out?? Anyone interested in my own bespoke herb/plant formula for ME/CFS? Cheap and safe.

TreePerson

Thanks @andyguitar. The serotonin release agent is not an SSRI but something else in general use that would have that effect?
Is it your belief that some people are less able to dispose of serotonin? Or that something in particular leads to the buildup or triggers an inability to dispose of it?
I Will look up white peony. I’m not very brave about trying untested things because my level of health is very poor and my experience in life has been that risk-taking doesn’t tend to work out for me.. Some people get away with stuff and other people don’t and I’m in the second group. LOL.
I would of course be interested in your cheap safe herbal ME/CFS formula.

andyguitar

Yes @TreePerson Its not an SSRI. It's another type of drug. You cant get it from the chemist! Serotonin is something that comes up time and time again in the following health problems. Migraine, cluster headache, sleep walking, sleep paralysis, chillblains, circulatory disorders, raynauds syndrome. Those health problems come up very often in ME/CFS. Some people have lower than average levels of the enzyme that breaks Serotonin down. Many things can cause Serotonin to elevate. Worst thing is a fugus called Ergot. Other fungi can have the same effect. Many drugs also have an effect including paracetamol. The formula i came up with has been tested on me. Took it for a week. Felt more alert, mind was sharper and more energetic. Few stomach gurgles and felt a bit warmer than usual. 1) Cats Claw, 2) Chamomile. These should be the dried herb. Just follow the instructions on the pack for dose. 3) Horseradish -the root. You can either get it and grate it yourself, or simply buy it as Horseradish sauce. Fresh is best, might make your eyes water when you grate it! 1 dessert spoon twice a day with food. 4) Lovage, again we want the root grated. 1 dessert spoon twice a day with food. You should be able to get Horseradish and Lovage from an ethnic grocers. It might take up to a month for this to have an effect. So you will need to stick with it. It is said that some have an allergy to Chamomile. If you think you might don't take it. Sounds mad does'nt it, couple of herbs and 2 cheap vegs could work. But I can tell you there is a lot of science behind this.

TreePerson

I’m kind of relieved you can’t get it from the chemist @andyguitar as I’m less likely to be on it. I take quite a lot of paracetamol and have the sense that I probably shouldn’t. I will leave trying the potion until after Christmas . Cats claw would be the tricky one. I think that supposed to be powerful against EBV and some people find it actually quite difficult to take. I’m pretty sure I’ve got that as a tincture and couldn’t cope with it. Is the idea that all this soaks up the serotonin?
When I’m having difficulty sleeping I will puzzle over the unnamed drug. I like a mystery. Ergot. Ergometrine is used in childbirth I wonder if they are connected.

andyguitar

When it comes to taking Paracetamol @TreePerson if you can stop it, or at the least cut it right down, it will help. It does raise Serotonin levels in a mild way. The Cats Claw is not used in my formula to fight infection. It's to reduce the levels of an inflammatory chemical called Tumor Necrosis Factor. Tinctures release the active ingredient very quickly and that might be why you had trouble with it. Dried herb is much slower release which is why I favour them. You could try starting with a third of the dose on the pack. One problem that can be a result of Serotonin release is that it causes blood platelets to stick together. This is what the Lovage is used to prevent. At this dose the benefits will be mild. But thats the best thing to aim for. Chamomile is also to stop inflammation by stopping the release of Substance P And Neurokinin 1. Horseradish contains an enzyme that removes Hydrogen Peroxide, one of the toxic chemical produced when Serotonin breaks down. Yes the drug Ergotomine comes from the fungus Ergot. It's a very old- and still used- treatment for migraine. I came up with this formula by consulting various books on medicinal plants/herbs that covered traditional Chinese/japanese/middle eastern/european methods. I then looked at modern research mainly from china/japan. Universities, research institutes and drug companies ect. took a while!!

andyguitar

Forgot to say that Ergotomine raises Serotonin levels and activates the receptors for it. Did you get ill after you were given it to induce birth and stop bleeding? I have been wondering if the use of that drug in childbirth could harm baby.

TreePerson

Forgot to say that Ergotomine raises Serotonin levels and activates the receptors for it. Did you get ill after you were given it to induce birth and stop bleeding? I have been wondering if the use of that drug in childbirth could harm baby.

No. I think if I remember rightly it’s given automatically at the end of labour. So I would’ve had it quite a few times. I did not become ill until 11years after it was first given and 4 years after the final time. Although I have sometimes wondered about the anti-D injection given to rhesus negative mothers - which is a blood product.

It’s particularly interesting about the horseradish I will look into that. Also the sticking platelets which chime with the info in Ron Davis video from yesterday.

Is the drugs that you can’t buy in the chemist illegal? This was my trying to fall asleep again musing from last night. ☺️

andyguitar

Yes The drug is illegal. When you work out what it is, better not to post about it. Sounds unlikley that your illness has anything to do with child birth as the delay between it and getting ill is to long. Hope you get round to trying the formula.

TreePerson

Yes The drug is illegal. When you work out what it is, better not to post about it. Sounds unlikley that your illness has anything to do with child birth as the delay between it and getting ill is to long. Hope you get round to trying the formula.

LOL I probably won’t work it out. But it was the only thing I could think that made sense of your comment about a PR disaster for sufferers. That it would be assumed we all use it??
Not very likely when the illness strikes young children as well as early teens.
I’ve left quite a sheltered life I doubt I’ve taken it.
But if I do solve the puzzle in the middle of the night I promise I won’t post. ☺️

Valium increases the activity of GABA which in turn lowers Serotonin levels. That is most likley to be why it helped. You possibly have to much Serotonin, and that is what is making you ill.
why does prozac help many with ME ? i take it since 15 years and it helps me with pain, fatigue and sleep . does it reduce or increase serotonine? i live in Germany and i also feel better with valium, but they dont prescribe it.

Rvanson

why does prozac help many with ME ? i take it since 15 years and it helps me with pain, fatigue and sleep . does it reduce or increase serotonine? i live in Germany and i also feel better with valium, but they dont prescribe it.

Prozac tends to be stimulating for me, so I cannot use it. It also makes me a bit angry as well. I no longer use it and have not for years.

Davsey27

At low doses it has been shown to raise allpregnenolone