Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

D-Lactic Acidosis in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Glynis Steele, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Avenger

Avenger

Hi, me too diagnosed with D-Lactic Acidosis and having treatment. How many more???

D-Lactic acidosis can be treated with antibiotics or diet. Jennifer Brea made a statement in a Times interview that she had been taking antibiotics which would temporarily abate her symptoms for them only to return. I was only diagnosed because I responded to antibiotics.

Many with CFS/ME have been reported to have Bacterial Overgrowth. Luke White an American Gastroenterologist states that anyone with Bacterial Overgrowth is at risk of D-Lactic acidosis. The title of his report is 'D-Lactic acidosis more prevalent than we think'.

Paul.

pattismith likes this.
  2. Avenger

Avenger

Hi BW,
    I have had CFS/ME for 18 years, I have recently been diagnosed with D-Lactic acidosis for the same symptoms without short bowel syndrome. Please follow my thread.

Paul.

3. Jasper80

Jasper80

I also have a d-Lactat producing Sibo and a Candida. Been on low /or better now carb made some Symptoms disapear and felt really good. Unfortunately after 3 Month (I was still working) my adrenals crashed. After that I became housbound and still am.

Unfortuneately I also have MCAS. So I can´t take good herbs, medicine or even a vegetable based Diet (Salycilates, Fructose etc.). And somehow the energy without carbs isn´t enough. So there is no Way to cure the Sibo. My Doctor is trying autovaccines, but my MCAS isn´t really happy about it.

I´ve read so much about all These Things and it seems, that a) It´s so unbelievably complicated and b) When you are really sick, nearly impossible to solve. That really is a bitter pill to swallow.

Maybe it is necessary to calm down the Mastcells first to lower Inflammation and to get the Immunsytem on track again. I´ve read Something about that in the Forum. So maybe the new medication next year may help with the SIBO and Gut Issues as well. Hopefully.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  4. Avenger

Avenger

5. Avenger

Avenger

Hi, I agree, there is nightmare complexity. But I am sure this will all be simplified in the future.

Interestingly Candida can also produce D-La as well as the Bacteria found by Sheedy et al. I guess that you could also have variants of D-La depending on which Bacteria are involved and whatever other toxins they produce (the toxins may be involved in immune dysfunction after Bacterial Overgrowth causes damage to the Mucosal Lining).

I would try Sarah Myhill, she is good on teasing out the complex and has an extensive knowledge of these Gut problems. She has been light years away from many NHS Doctors understanding of these problems and treats Holistically. I have great faith in her ability and what she is putting online without charge. There must be a chain of dysfunction involved. Immune Dysfunction can be caused by Overgrowth and then cause a negative feedback which spirals into other problems. She may be able to give you some advice.

Your body must have been under extremes for your adrenals to crash. MCAS on top sounds dreadful.

My own understanding of Bacterial Overgrowth is limited and has come purely from survival. I hope you can be helped with such disabling symptoms, my heart go's out to you.

6. Jasper80

Jasper80

Hey Avenger,

thank you very much for your words. I´ll contact mrs Myhill.

MCAS is the one Thing, that seems to Keep me off helping the others. It is dreadful.

Thank you :)

Unfortunately Dr.Myhill does not take new patients. Not much hope left though.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Did you consider an elemental diet? That's usually the way to cure SIBO if you have MCAS.

8. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Can D-la still be a problem if not accompanied by gut symptoms?

9. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    Her website is excellent and there is a very good and supportive facebook group " supporters of ..."
    I would also email her .. you may have to wait but she may take you on . nothing ventured nothing gained.

10. Jasper80

Jasper80

Yes I´ve tried it, I killed some sibo, but I´ve feed the Candida because of the Sugars. I´m blessed with both. The scd diet then afterwards killed my adrenals. Thank you for your idea.

It is! But my case is so complicated, that I´m just not able to do it bye my self. There are to many Things I can´t do due of MCAS and other issues. I really tried for years now, but no Chance. I´ll write her. Maybe a fortune happens.

Thank you :)

11. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    Fingers crossed

Jasper80 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.