• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confused about supplements - please help!

richvank

Hi, Mog.

Molybdenum is needed for the normal metabolism of sulfur-containing substances. It helps sulfite oxidase to convert sulfite into sulfate, which is used for various purposes, including detox, support to the cartilage, and formation of DHEA sulfate, the most abundant hormone in the blood. I don't know whether you are deficient in molybdenum or not, but it is an essential mineral for the body, and a deficiency of is it one possible cause of sensitivity to sulfur-containing foods and supplements.

Best regards,

Rich

Mog

I see that you get liquid molybdenum. Any advantage in taking that rather than tablets? Can you safely take the 500mcg dose indefinitely?
Sorry, I keep thinking of other things. I don't seem to do well on Acetyl-L-Carnitine. It doesn't make me spectacularly unwell, just a general feeling of dragging me down somehow. I wondered if that was due to my under-active thyroid, as I think I've read that Acetyl-L-Carnitine shouldn't be taken if hypothyroid. Or is there a connection to the other problem supplements?
Also, I can't tolerate iron supplements now. I did take ferrous fumarate for several years for low ferritin levels. My GP told me to stop when, eventually, my ferritin levels had risen (not too high, just to a bit above the lowest level). I got tested a year later and the ferritin level had plummeted down again. But when I tried to take ferrous fumarate and Spatone (liquid iron), even in small amounts, I seemed to be reacting badly to it, lots more headaches and generally unwell. Iron - any connection there?

Mog

I don't have much experience with AKA, but it is not contraindicated for Hg toxicity...I do know that. .I'm assuming your rationale is elevated ammonia?

Certainly need to be very careful if you are barely sweating. I was infinitely more ill when I just about stopped sweating altogether. The inability to sweat is definitely correlated to a sicker patient.

I'd never heard of AKA before. I don't see any mention of ammonia in my tests, although there's a lot of stuff in the Great Plains Organic Acids Test that I don't understand. I do have high oxalic in the oxalate metabolites. The general info from the doctor that recommended the AKA was that it is "an organic acid important for the proper metabolism of all essential amino acids and the transfer of cellular energy in the Krebs cycle."

I wasn't too concerned about the not sweating, as I've always been like that, even before getting M.E. (Although I remember feeling dreadful and bad headache the one time I used a steam sauna, before I was ill). I just think of the non-sweating as a family trait, at least on the maternal side, I'm reliably informed. But do you mean you have to be careful using the FIR sauna if you're not sweating, as there's no outlet for the mobilised toxins?

Ocean

A practitioner has just given me a lot of supplements to take for mitochondrial resuscitation and for detox. I haven't had the methylation panel done.

I took one Folinic Acid (Kirkman 800mcg) for the first time several days ago and felt really ill for the rest of the day and took a couple of days to feel better again. Could one really have that effect so quickly? Other things that have had a bad effect on me previously, ie. making me feel iller, are Garlic (but not Allicin Max), N-Acetyl Cysteine, L-Methionine, L-Tyrosine, possibly Alpha Lipoic Acid. Is there a connection between these? Is the illness/bad effect a healing reaction and should I persevere, or does it just mean I shouldn't be taking these particular supplements?
There's Folate Metafolin L-5-MTHF in the Multivitamin and B Complex that I'm taking; is that okay to take in view of my reaction to the Folinic Acid?

I'm also confused about the glutamine/glutathione/B12 thing. I've got Reduced Glutathione 100mg, L-Glutamine and Methylcobalamin 1000mcg to take. Which should I start with?

Sorry for all the questions. I've tried to find the answers in the forums but have just got myself even more confused!
What type of side effects did you have? I've reacted to a lot of the same supplements so I'm curious if your reaction was like mine.

Mog

Ocean -
I do now try to take notes on any reactions to supplements, but I wasn't doing so when I tried many of the above, so I can't remember exactly for each. But my reaction isn't usually specific, it's just a general worsening of how I feel - feeling ill/malaise. And often a worsening of my usual headaches and migraines, getting them more often and they are sorer. So, just a general worsening of my usual illness, I would say. (Apart from L-tyrosine which gave me facial flushing). What side effects do you get when taking them?

Also, I didn't do well on LDN and had to stop after 3 weeks. I was getting depressed on it and then I had bad stomach pains for several nights, before stopping it. Don't know if there's any connection to my reaction to all the other supps or not. Also, tried cortisone for about 3 weeks, which didn't improve how I felt and I got very depressed when I stopped it.