• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT mutation and intolerance to methyl groups

Can anyone help me understand this better?

I suspect but do not know that I have the COMT gene mutation because of the way I react to methylated forms of folate and B12. In the past I have had severe panic attacks, insomnia, and even seizures after taking these things. But I suspect that they are an important part of the healing puzzle, so I would like to understand this better.

Any insights on what this is and what can be done about it?

alicec

There's no evidence that COMT SNPs affect tolerance of methyl groups.

This was a theory of Yasko's that became self-fulfilling. Because such people MIGHT be sensitive to methyl groups they weren't given them. At some point this was claimed as a known fact - ie that such people WERE sensitive to methyl groups and SHOULDN'T be given them.

There are no studies to support the claim and plenty of people who are COMT +/+, including myself, have put the theory to the test and found it wanting. I am not sensitive to methyl groups nor are many other people of PR.

Conversely, some people who are COMT -/- report sensitivity to methyl groups.

As for the basis of the sensitivity, there could be many reasons for it and it's probably a very individual thing.

sb4

What @alicec said is probably right.

I have comt mutations and seem to really struggle with anything that increases catecholamines. This includes methylfolate. So that could be random or it could back up that theory.