• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cleanliness in between showering

taniaaust1

@Horizon , drying off is a lot easier if you do much of the finishing with a hair dryer.

the weight of holding hair driers can feel like its killing the arm. I don't know about others here but I have a trouble with the ME with holding things of any weight for long. (act of holding onto something is like repetitive work on the muscle).

erin

the weight of holding hair driers can feel like its killing the arm. I don't know about others here but I have a trouble with the ME with holding things of any weight for long. (act of holding onto something is like repetitive work on the muscle).

@taniaaust1, I dry myself with a towel first as much as to my ability, but not exert too much energy. And then finish off with the dryer then it doesn't take that long to dry, I mean I am not holding the drier for so long. I do this sitting and even lying on my bed on top of the towel. It is still tiring but easier than complete towel dry; much more energy consuming. Dryer's warm air can reach all parts from a bit of distance, I can't reach everywhere when toweling, it hurts my arms. I lie down for half an hour after the drying with a towel wrap round on my hair. This helps hair to dry quick. Though I wash my hair once a week, maybe twice if I feel I have energy.
In summer it is easier, hate winter. Huge heating bills as I need my room warm for this kind of "operation".

Binkie4

@taniaaust1
Teeth- I brush my teeth in bed twice a day. I have had huge dental bills and I wouldn't want some of the treatments I have had in the past now I have ME. Dentist is v careful with the anaesthesia she uses.
My bed technique is to have a towel over top of bed, a tooth mug of water at side of bed and electric toothbrush brought to me loaded with toothpaste. I sort of prop my elbow on the pillow so I'm not raising my arm and the toothbrush takes the strain. Rinse and helper removes. After a rest I floss also lying propped. Now I can do teeth without help by getting own brush and paste but I still lie down.OI is bad so it really helps with energy.
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Paralee

taniaaust1

@taniaaust1
Teeth- I brush my teeth in bed twice a day. I have had huge dental bills and I wouldn't want some of the treatments I have had in the past now I have ME. Dentist is v careful with the anaesthesia she uses.
My bed technique is to have a towel over top of bed, a tooth mug of water at side of bed and electric toothbrush brought to me loaded with toothpaste. I sort of prop my elbow on the pillow so I'm not raising my arm and the toothbrush takes the strain. Rinse and helper removes. After a rest I floss also lying propped. Now I can do teeth without help by getting own brush and paste but I still lie down.OI is bad so it really helps with energy.
Thanks everyone for the tips.

I don't have a helper to be getting stuff and removing things. I'd be okay with things like that if I did.

taniaaust1

@taniaaust1, I dry myself with a towel first as much as to my ability, but not exert too much energy. And then finish off with the dryer then it doesn't take that long to dry, I mean I am not holding the drier for so long. I do this sitting and even lying on my bed on top of the towel. It is still tiring but easier than complete towel dry; much more energy consuming. Dryer's warm air can reach all parts from a bit of distance, I can't reach everywhere when toweling, it hurts my arms. I lie down for half an hour after the drying with a towel wrap round on my hair. This helps hair to dry quick. Though I wash my hair once a week, maybe twice if I feel I have energy.
In summer it is easier, hate winter. Huge heating bills as I need my room warm for this kind of "operation".

when I'm too bad but for some reason have washed (I only do that about once a week), I often wont dry myself at all. Its a case of just dumping myself onto the bed onto a towel to air dry.

Binkie4

I don't have a helper to be getting stuff and removing things. I'd be okay withthings like that if I did.

Yes, it's things like that that can make a difference. I was lucky. Now I can get stuff for myself but OI makes it easier to still lie down.
Have had to start taking drugs for hypertension- weird because early in the illness my BP was very low-and OI seems to have become worse so all attempts to avoid standing help.
Good luck with making some improvement.

perchance dreamer

I really wish that bidets were as common in American homes as they are in other parts of the world. Someday, I'm going to do a big splurge and get a bidet seat for the toilet. The only thing is that we don't have an electrical outlet by the toilet, so we'd have to get one installed.

Deodorant was mentioned earlier in the thread. I've talked about it in other places, but I use coconut oil for deodorant, and it works great.

In the cool months, I don't add anything to it, and in the hot months (I live in Texas), I add a little baking powder to give it a boost.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
I have discovered that organic extra virgin coconut oil is absolutely wonderful health-wise for the intimate bits on an daily basis ;)... as well as during intimate moments.... :jaw-drop::thumbsup::redface: Playmate prefers it as well. :fire::cool:

hellytheelephant

I really wish that bidets were as common in American homes as they are in other parts of the world. Someday, I'm going to do a big splurge and get a bidet seat for the toilet. The only thing is that we don't have an electrical outlet by the toilet, so we'd have to get one installed.

Deodorant was mentioned earlier in the thread. I've talked about it in other places, but I use coconut oil for deodorant, and it works great.

In the cool months, I don't add anything to it, and in the hot months (I live in Texas), I add a little baking powder to give it a boost.
@perchance dreamer Does it stain your clothes? Perhaps we need a thread for coconut oil (?)
BTW: lived in Italy for 6 yrs and totally agree about Bidets.

Mary

Moderator Resource
This is a great thread, so many good ideas.

Baking soda is a good natural deodorant - just smear on when your skin is damp, and it lasts a couple of days. I also use it for brushing my teeth, mixed with salt. And also as a face scrub, when I have the energy.

I use virgin coconut oil for cleaning my face, after either a baking soda scrub or washing with water - I think it works like cold cream, just slather it on and rub a bit, and then remove excess with a cotton pad.