• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cipro can cause permanent neuropathy in only days

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Just thought you'd all like to see one of the latest FDA warnings:

Safety Announcement
[8-15-2013] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has required the drug labels and Medication Guides for all fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs be updated to better describe the serious side effect of peripheral neuropathy. This serious nerve damage potentially caused by fluoroquinolones (see Table for a list) may occur soon after these drugs are taken and may be permanent.
The risk of peripheral neuropathy occurs only with fluoroquinolones that are taken by mouth or by injection. Approved fluoroquinolone drugs include levofloxacin (Levaquin), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), moxifloxacin (Avelox), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), and gemifloxacin (Factive). The topical formulations of fluoroquinolones, applied to the ears or eyes, are not known to be associated with this risk.

----

In addition, Medscape says this:
A recent review of cases with the outcome of disability in the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System from January 1, 2003, and August 1, 2012, showed that the onset of peripheral neuropathy after the start of fluoroquinolone therapy was rapid, often within a few days, the FDA stated. Some patients who had stopped taking the drug continued to experience nerve damage symptoms for more than a year.

Thinktank

I was put on Cipro and Flagyl about a year ago for a two weeks span. The stuff has done so much damage i have never have been the same again My cognitive and neuropathic issues really went downhill since then.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Then it might be better to take the word "permanent" out of the thread title.
That's what the FDA says...it is their article. Well those of us who follow Freddd do not believe neuropathy is permanent since he was able to heal his with his methylation protocol. However the medical community is oblivious. And anyway there have been no definitive tests of this protocol....some heal on it, but no one knows if all would. Freddd calls for so many vitamins that many here either can't afford or can't stand to take so many, but all of them are important. I am discovering over time that it's not only a fallacy to think there could be a single "magic bullet" as the medical community is constantly looking for , but that even the immediate items to support a biochemical cycle are simply not enough and one's entire nutrition is relevant. (I say this because I am having blood pressure problems again 5 years after having 'solved' that problem. Now I'm finding milk is an ACE inhibitor and as I drifted away from drinking it some of my problems came back --- thus a hidden item in my protocol I was unaware of (I am ACE +/+). So, for instance, Freddd does not list it as part f his protocol, but he takes hormone replacement and hormones DO REGULATE gene expression, thus will affect those with genetic methylation issues. So Freddd recovered but he did more than he lists in his protocol and some of the stuff he did not list may be important. One may also find he eats little fast/junk food...well he grows some of his own stuff and that sounds pretty healthy. It all adds up.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I was put on Cipro and Flagyl about a year ago for a two weeks span. The stuff has done so much damage i have never have been the same again My cognitive and neuropathic issues really went downhill since then.
I suggest you talk to Freddd about the way back since he was able to recover from neuropathy.