• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue patients more likely to suppress emotions

me/cfs 27931

Patients with myasthenia gravis, with their muted facial expression, could probably appear to suffer from "suppressed emotions" as well, I suppose.

Fortunately, no one seems to be trying to pretend those patients have a psychological condition.

PennyIA

If we burnout and are in PEM we don't express emotions because we are too exhausted. An appropriate control would be marathoners right after the race.

Actually, marathoners who didn't prepare properly after the race.

I've always compared how I feel in a crash to that scenario. Those who have trained property often feel the runner high and are in good spirits.

Those who didn't feel the need to train appropriately find themselves crashing more like we do.

Richard7

I cannot say if the experiment was well done or not, I have not read the paper.

But I certainly feel that there have been changes. I have higher anxiety, but also have POTS so that may be the main cause. And I certainly get the flight response. Not the fight just the flight, which I cannot really act on much of the time.

I have had major issues with noise from neighbours, I am a migrainer and base is a major issue when am ill I often feel like climbing the walls when I cannot escape it, or go out into even louder noise to ask them to turn it down. When I have been relatively well I have left the house to avoid it.

And I find being assertive, making my opinions/needs heard really difficult. Any sort of confrontation is a major effort. And I am, of course, going into those situations with well thought out polite requests, nothing like fighting.

I went round this morning to explain that while the noise had improved since I last mentioned it, it was still too loud from time to time, and when asked gave some examples from the weekend. I didn't complain about it earlier (on the weekend for example) because this was the first time I felt calm enough. And my heart rate is still way up almost 4hrs later. Last night it was about 57BPM at this desk at the moment its over 100, and has been 100+/- 10 for most of the times I have measured it.

On the emotional side I know that in 2008-2009 I watched a fair number of films, but hit a point where I started having worse autonomic problems (POTS) and both stopped being able to go down to the library to borrow movies at the same time as I stopped being able to watch them because I could not handle suspense or things designed to induce strong negative emotions or put you on an emotional roller coaster.

So I imagine that there could be something there, even if this is not the research or the research team to find it.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
A blunted or "flat" affect is associated with ME/CFS and is defined as a lack of emotional expressiveness. This is not the same thing as suppression! Just because my emotions can't be easily read on my face doesn't mean that I'm suppressing them. Suppression is an effort to hide emotion, whereas having a blunted or flat affect takes no effort at all.

Idiots:mad:

taniaaust1

We hope that this research will contribute to a greater understanding of the needs of people with chronic fatigue syndrome, some of whom may tend not to communicate their experiences of symptoms or stress to other people," said the study's lead author, Katharine Rimes, PhD, of King's College London. "Others may be unaware of the difficulties experienced by chronic fatigue syndrome patients and therefore not provide appropriate support."

umm well if I showed how much others are upsetting me due to their extremely terrible treatment towards me with this illness, they'd probably go and lock me up or I'd be slapping everyone. I truely dont think its a good idea for me to be showing just how they are making me feel with what I feel is equalivant to abuse directed towards me.

thankfully Ive had a ton of therapy to teach me how to hide my stress levels even more (I can hide them till I completely explode, aint I lucky :/ ).

Last edited:

Chrisb

What is with all you over emotional types coming on this forum for ME sufferers and ranting away. Ha, ha. They're just too clever for you. Certainly found you all out, didn't they. Oh damn..... wait a minute......they trapped me as well. Fair cop.

For a moment I was pleased to note that this was published in the journal of the American Psychological Association. then I saw the lead author is from Kings College London. Who would have guessed it?

I am sure there must be a suitable name for this research based on the acronym PRINCESS. That should enable us to while away the hours whilst we calm down.

Edit P.S. How does this apparent finding square with the old supposition that emotional lability was a symptom of the condition

Last edited:

worldbackwards

What is with all you over emotional types coming on this forum for ME sufferers and ranting away. Ha, ha. They're just too clever for you. Certainly found you all out, didn't they. Oh damn..... wait a minute......they trapped me as well. Fair cop.
But aren't we supposed to be fiercely suppressing those emotions? Maybe it should be "Chronic Fatigue Patients more likely to suppress emotions unless they're savage internet terrorists"?

worldbackwards

The Phoenix Rising Forum, yesterday:
hqdefault.jpg

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Is skin conductance even a valid way of measuring this? (unsure)

Confounding factors - when you are ill you are likely to respond differently to a healthy person regardless of how you feel emotionally?

Oh and was there really effective blinding by the observers - they didn't check to see whether the observers guessed which were patients and which were not.

Last edited:

snowathlete