• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cant methylate zinc and folate, what to do??

Hi there,

I just got my results from a saliva methylationtest back. It says i have one gene mutation called C677 that causes me not being able to methylate zinc or folate. Unfortunatly i have no idea what to do about it and when i google i can't really find anything specific for this gene mutation.

Im pretty desperate and was hoping someone in here has an idea of how i can fix this issue and get to better health? If you know something please let me know, i would be so grateful.

I don't know if this matters, but one thing i realised is, when i take high dosage of b12(mecobalamin 500 microgram) or also a few other b vitamines im so wired and can't hold still for like 1-2 hours, its like i drank 10 coffees.

I added a picture of the test result below in case that matters.

Thanks a lot for looking at my thread,
Greedings
Dazzle

Attachments

• 2d92847bb38ac91edb2be9236cac661b.png
    2d92847bb38ac91edb2be9236cac661b.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 16

PeterPositive

Hi,
the mutation you have is fairly common, almost 45% of the population has one MTHFR mutation. This doesn't necessarily translate into a health issue.

Also this type of tests don't tell you if your methylation is really working or not. To assess that you should perform a functional test that looks at the end products of the cycle, such as reduced glutathione and SAMe.

These tests are available in labs like this (it's called the methylation panel)
http://www.hdri-usa.com/

All the test is telling you, is that you may need an extra bit of active folate (methylfolate) in your diet or via supplementation.

If taking methyl-B12 gives you such a bad reaction I would avoid it. Replacing it with hydroxy-B12 could also work.

cheers

Last edited: