• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you feel methylfolate wearing off?

I notice that when I take methylfolate (400mcg quatrefolic) at breakfast, I feel icky (hard to describe) exactly the same time every night, 12 hours after breakfast, unless I take another methylfolate at dinner.

It seems like a weird trap where I'm forced to take a higher dose of methylfolate than I thought would be necessary. Does this happen to anyone else?

How do you know what the right dose is?

arx

I have the same confusion. I could never find out how much folate i need. Fred has posted some folate insufficiency symptoms, which might help you.

800 mcg is a pretty common dose, I think!

place

Be Strong!
I take 16 in the morning and 1600 in the afternoon. Don't feel it wearing off.

Not to be provocative but what's so special about 800mcg?

I saw an old post about deplin on drbobs forums, and someone mentioned feeling a lot better with it taken in quarters rather than all at once, as it wore off after a few hours. But the symptoms were more to do with depression.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I can't take high folate because it gives me eletrolyte instability. Maybe I could figure out what higher doses of a whole bunch of vitamins to take to make the instability go away, but it feels unsafe so I do not do it. I just take the one Solgar mfolate, but I do take Thorne Basic B multi 2x/day and it has mfolate in it. That is enough for me. I do have the gene that says I need mfolate. But I also take DHEA which helps with epigenetics so someone else with the same genes may have a far worse time of it than me.

an update: I no longer have this symptom as of a few days ago. Unfortunately my thigh aching has returned, which is usually P5P or folate deficiency, and P5P isn't helping this time so it looks like I'll try more methylfolate and see what happens.

I had this sense of not enough and kept increasing and increasing the folate dosage. Finally, Deplin 15 mg (which I take in divided doses) feels like it is enough.