• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can I block folate uptake w/ m-folate taken first?

BadBadBear

If I want to keep taking B-Right, can I take Metafolin first to block uptake of other folates? If this would work to manage B vitamins long term, I would be happy. :)

Would the same strategy work for a meal with green veggies - for example, pop a quarter tab of Solgar Metafolin before eating a good portion of cooked spinach?

Thanks!
Michelle

Lotus97

You can't block folic acid or plant folate with methylfolate. Folic acid and plant folate don't block methylfolate for everyone, but it would still be a good idea to not take folic acid for other reasons even if it doesn't block methylfolate. If they do "block" methylfolate for you then the only thing you could do is take more methylfolate.

Asklipia

Maybe this would be a good idea.

However Metafolin wouldn't block the uptake of other folates.
But other folates might create a methylfolate deficiency by mobilizing whatever is needed for methylfolate production and use in your body, to no avail if you are not able to produce or use this production for any reason.
Taking Metafolin first would satisfy the body's need for methylfolate, thus avoiding the methylfolate deficiency induced by taking other folates.

If you want to try, please inform us of the result. This would be of great interest to a lot of people I think.

I want to add though that I do not think piling folates on folates is a good idea if what is going on is a kind of folate poisoning. My choice has been avoidance, not trying to fix the problem with extra chemicals.

Lots of good wishes,
Be well!
Asklipia