• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

C-B12 & M-B12 together?

Hi there, is there any genetic reason or scientific reason why someone might need cyanocobalamin, while taking fairly high doses of methylocobalamin?

I decided to stop the cyanocobalamin, when taking methylcobalamin. The C-B12 500mcg was an evening meal tablet, and I think by the evening I am now out of my lunchtime supply of M-B12 5000 mcg.

Is this possible that the body can "run out" by the end of the day like suggested?

It did originally seem like a smart move to avoid the insomnia.

Critterina

I don't think there's any reason anybody would ever need cyanocobalamin, if they have enough methylcobalamin. I find that the frequency with which I take it makes a bigger difference than the amount I take each time, so I'm thinking you are right that a person can run out. Ask @Freddd - I think he has minutes calculated as to how long B12 lasts.

Thank you for your response. I think what is happening is I'm running low in the day on B12, and the cyanacobalamin is able to be converted and top my level up again. Taking it before dinner and not half hour after relieved some of the insomnia.
Any data on levels and how long they last would be interesting especially about levels in the spinal fluid and brain which is what I think I have (or have not).