• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

blue light, orange lenses, melatonin

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Anyone used the glasses you wear at night that block blue light from computers phones and even normal ceiling lights . Has it helped?

the explanation i have read is the blue light suppresses melatonin production and disrupts circadian rythm. the bodies rythm becomes more synchronized by blocking this blue light, so sleep is initiated easier and better sleep quality .

I have been using them for a week, so im not sure if its my imagination or not but i am falling asleep quicker and sleep deeper. I still need to medicate but im noticing a difference .

Cheers

South

I do. After putting them on and continuing to read my pre-bedtime book of the week, I find that after 10 minutes or so I'm less keyed up than I was. So, they seem to aid my brain in settling down. I put them on if I feel a certain level of being keyed up (I don't feel like that every night).

I don't have major problems falling asleep anyway though, so not sure if these would do enough for someone with bigger issues with falling asleep.

I got them cheap on Amazon, and remember that they were labeled "gaming glasses" for people who play a lot of video games - they are simply orange colored lenses though, and were cheaper than "special bedtime glasses". Orange or strong yellow blocks blue, it doesnt have to be a pricey product, IMO.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I tried them - actually had some prescription specs expensively made, since I tried the safety specs and couldn't get them to stay on over my actual specs enough to cut the light out - and they didn't do anything at all for me.

Vasha

Hi @heapsreal
Indeed-modifying light wavelength helps me a lot. I have a pair of amber-tinted, polarized sunglasses that make it possible for me to go out for doctor appointments and the like. These work really well for evening transition as well.

I backed into this some years ago - I bought them in an airport in the middle of some work trip or other (oh, the denial! it goes on until complete collapse, it does) to try to alleviate my constant migraines. I was attracted to them because some part of me knew how painful bright, blue-tinted light was. (Oh the denial - I actually had a blue light machine for jet lag for a long time - instant migraine and weird irritable feeling that is completely outside my usual personality. Still, I used it - it definitely wakes you up.)

Now I often wear them to help me stand the computer screen or other light, as well as the evening transition.

If anyone wants to test if they're likely to help, they can always try the blue light to see if they feel awful.;)

(Last aside: The polarization helps with flickering light from shadows and such. When I was still working, before utter collapse, I wore them constantly because they helped so much with vertigo when people were talking (they WILL move their heads and hands, won't they?! :p)

Vasha

anne_likes_red

Anyone used the glasses you wear at night that block blue light from computers phones and even normal ceiling lights . Has it helped?

Yes, since 2011, and yes they help. :) On the occasions I need to go out in the evening and don't want to wear my $8 Amazon orange cheapies I really notice the effects of artificial light....feels like it burns my brain and I don't get off to sleep nearly as quickly.
I read somewhere recently that normal (if you consider CFL normal) ceiling lights contain 2000 x the "dose" of blue spectrum light we're supposed to be exposed to around the time the sun is settling.

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.
I have tried blue blocking glasses and I love them. when I compare my sleep now to 6 months ago they have had an amazing difference.

then, huge trouble getting to sleep, wake once or twice in the night, always have nightmares or bad dreams.
now, asleep by 1am, don't wake in the night, bad dreams once in a while.
I still don't have refreshing sleep, but the blue blocking glasses have made a huge difference to my sleep.

I also have some red film that I put over lightbulbs in my room so I don't have to wear the glasses in bed.

Sidereal

Also, f.lux for the computer which changes the light settings on in depending on the time of day. Huge help.

Vasha

I read somewhere recently that normal (if you consider CFL normal) ceiling lights contain 2000 x the "dose" of blue spectrum light we're supposed to be exposed to around the time the sun is settling.

@anne_likes_red that makes so much sense! I've wondered why CFL's are so uncomfortable to deal with. My poor DH thought I was a little nuts forever because I insisted on warmer incandesent bulbs. (But not the "natural light" bulbs-those are also uncomfortable.) He really cannot tell a difference, and I really cannot stand CFLs.

I also have some red film that I put over lightbulbs in my room so I don't have to wear the glasses in bed.

@Raines also very interesting, and makes a lot of sense.

Vasha

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
anyone care to post a link to the specific glasses they use. i'm ready to give them a try.

I dont think theres anything special between different pairs of glasses. Cheaper types are ok.
sorry i cant post a link on my phone and computer out of action.

so far i think they are helping ,also a blue light blocker app on my phone i switch on at night.

alicec

anyone care to post a link to the specific glasses they use. i'm ready to give them a try.
I bought these https://www.lowbluelights.com/detail.asp?id=24 and am very happy with them. Previously I had a cheap pair which was very uncomfortable plus one arm quickly broke. I could tape it up for a while but it kept crumbling and eventually taping didn't work either. I decided then to get a more expensive pair.

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.

I'm very happy with my cheap £10 glasses (already broke a pair (by sitting on them lol) and had to replace them!!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocking-Dr...3753072&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+blocking+glasses

and this is the red film I have, used with dots of velcro for easy removal
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubylith-...685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4156618c25

blue blocking, like everything, seem to help some of us and for others make no difference,

so far i think they are helping ,also a blue light blocker app on my phone i switch on at night.

whats the app your using called? wondering if I can get it on my phone.

redaxe

I bought a pair - and yes they are helpful although uncomfortable as I have to wear them over my current glasses. So I should look at this app below.
I would say the less bright light you expose your eyes to at night the better. If you want to see how just effective darkness is for sleep then try camping. That is by the most effective way to reset your circadian rhythms and get better sleep. Imagine the sun setting at 6pm but you go to bed at 9pm so you sit around a campfire for 3 hours drinking beer. That's 3 hours your eyes have been away from bright light although actually it's probably closer to 5 hours as blue light rapidly fades in the late afternoon.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056895/review-f-lux-makes-your-computer-usable-at-night.html
https://justgetflux.com/

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have blue-blocking sunglasses that are designed to fit over regular glasses. The brand is Solar Shield.

I also have f.lux on my computer.