• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Betaine HCL for overmethylators suitable?

amaru7

Hello,

I've been registred to this forum for a while now and been hesitating to take part in searching a way to ease the ME. I stumbled many times over phoenixrising and find that many people are immensly knowledgeble and helpful. Also the forums webdesign is so lovely and inviting, my hat off to the designers and programmers!

Now to the subject:
I want to increase my stomach acid as it is borderline low. Betaine HCL is supposed to do wonders for that and help to digest proteins and food in general. The only issue that is bugging me is that I'm most probably a full blown-overmethylator. Niacin relaxes me a bit, SAMe, MethylB12, Metafolin all make me feel crazed and much worse than without these. I also am low histamine and double mutated badly with the COMT(Met/Met) enzyme :( that's probably the reason why my methylation cycle is defective leading to a host of different problems throughout my life because of overmethylation and issues with neurotransmitters and detoxification.

The question basically is, will I be able to still benefit from Betaine HCL or is it unsuitable as it supposedly is another methyl-donor just like TMG is? And if that's the case, then is it possible to counteract that by combining with high dose Niacin, which acts as a methyl acceptor?

any help and experiences are welcome

there's one thread but it wasn't any helpful you might have a look:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...cl-supplementation-with-comt-mutations.15466/

ukxmrv

Rich Van Konynenburg used to answer these types of questions but sadly he passed away and is sadly missed.

Rich was the person I most remember for telling patients about Betane HCL before he was aware of the Yasko work and started looking at the Methylisation cycle. Then when this topic come back I remember posts of his answering this question and saying that Betaine HCL was not an issue.

He may have changed his mind or overlooked something. If you search for his name you may find some of the earlier discussions on this very question.

Sorry to be so vague. I've not seen this question discussed recently.

guys niacin reduces methylation in everyone or only in overmethylators?is it bad for undermethylator to take it in high doses?

i read in google that niacin lowers methylation even if undermethylator.so is very good for overmethylators.

but i didnt find if the other forms(niacinamide,inositol hexanicotinate)lower methylation too.anyone know this?because i want to take niacin for ATP.but i dont want to lower methylation either