Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bad reaction from vitamin B complex anyone?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by rahimhasnan, Mar 10, 2017.

1. rahimhasnan

rahimhasnan

So i did a blood test and shows my folate acid is low. So i purchased vitamin B complex blackmores brand. As soon as i take 1 pill i can straight away feel my energy level increase. Thats the good side of it but the bad side is that i can feel a mild headache, drowsiness, brain fog, watery poop. I also feel more calm and chill but my cognitive feel slow at the same time. Now has been my third day taking it. Should i continue taking it or stop? Will the side effects go away after several days or weeks?

2. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @rahimhasnan , there's a lot of people that can't take a B complex because of problems with even one of the B vitamins, or they should be taking methylated instead of regular, all kinds of things. I can't take a complex because of....I think it's taurine, can't remember for sure.
    I've heard of people getting perky on B's , like B12, wish I was one of them. Maybe someone will come on here that knows more about them than I do. Good luck.

3. Dlweb1314

Dlweb1314

Quite some time ago I tried a B complex, Life Extensions brand. 15 min later my face and neck were itching, burning hot, red, then later became swollen. Took 2 benadryl and it worked pretty fast. I was back to normal after an hour.
    This happened FOUR different times. Now it's on my list of things to avoid.

4. Tammykinz

Tammykinz

I had loose stools in am and a bit of nausea

5. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Senior Member

Some of the B vitamins are extracted from yeast. Now that's great if you can handle yeast. But if there's Candida or yeast intolerance, probably not. Do you get the same feelings from bread with yeast? That would be a good way to test if that's the problem.
    I do believe it's possible to get yeast-free B complex....though where I am unsure. But I have heard of it. Someone I know bought it for their dog! Because he has a yeast allergy.

6. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Would first try to lower the dose. Since it's in tablet that can be easily done with a sharp knife or pill-cutter. 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4. Looked it up and found contains synthetic folic acid, which in up to half the population can't be metabolized to active methylfolate. For you next purchase would look out for a B-complex with methylfolate right away, instead of folic acid. Also choose one with methylcobalamin or adenosylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalmin (B12).

If with other much better brands the side-effects persist I would trial each B vitamin separately.

See more popular forum discussions.