• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and sleepiness? To take it at night?

Star-Anise

Hi @Star-Anise,

Yes. It might be the dosage issue. I feel sleepy in more than 1000 mg, more than 5000 mg and I cannot function that day. Which brand do you take? I've switched to Solgar now, after experimenting with NOW, Jarrow, and Enzymatic Therapy.

Hmm. It could be. Unfortunately I haven't got hold of hydroxo-b12 here in India. If he's able to convert to the active forms from hydroxocobalamin, that's very good! :)

Solgar gave me a energy boost for an hour, which I never observed from any of the other brands. After that one hour I feel really sleepy. Melatonin, co-factors (particularly folate), potassium and magnesium only come to mind.

Thanks for sharing, @Star-Anise :)
@arx
Hi there, I am using NOW foods methylB12 right now.
to be honest, I think that I might get sleepy with more than 1000mcg at a time too. I have only taken 1000mcg at at time. I have slowly been building up to 1000mcg twice per day for almost one year now.
The fact that the Solgar brand gave you energy boost, and then you were sleepy, in my mind is promising. I found that was the case when I first started to supplement with it too. I would take the dose down a bit so that you don't get such a high/low response. More medium paced, steady energy is better.

@peggy-sue re: folate - I would say yes, methyl-folate or at very least folinic acid is better than folate. Folinic acid supplementation is controversial, & you can research more on this forum, due to it's potential relationship to glutathione production, but I don't know more than that.
S

knackers323

@arx
oh, p.s. I just remembered even my husband who has mild fatigue problems (no ME/CFS or any other chronic condition that we have identified - but I suspect some mild adrenal fatigue) when he takes his B12 too late, he definitely can have insomnia. I have gotten his genetic testing and he has COMT +/+ on all accounts so I have started him on Hydroxy-B12 - seems to be the best form he can tolerate without getting fatigue reaction during the day though. Adenosyl seems to be ok, but hydroxy is better. When he took adenosyl he got ++swollen lymph nodes within a week! Maybe type of B12 is a factor as well as suggested by @PeterPositive :) S

Why does the adeno give him sore glands? Thanks

Star-Anise

@knackers323
I dunno re: adenosylB12 = sore lymph nodes. I figured it was due to some hyper detox at the time. But now I don't know. I haven't tried him on it again. He is doing well on hydroxy for now. I'm going to try him on a low-dose Thorne Multi with some oral versus sublingual adenosyl B12 as well as methylB12 soon. It also has methylfolate & folinic acid in it. He hasn't tolerated folate well up to this point in any form.
S