• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are these some of the Neurological symptoms of B12 deficiency??

Hello all:

I'm just wondering if anyone could relate to some of the neurological symptoms I've been experiencing over the last 7 years.

I do have a confirmed b12 deficiency about 250-275. Also, multiple MTRR, MTR, MTHFR mutations. Now, I have had some physical symptoms on and off over the last few years but it's always been the neurological symptoms that have been consistent.

I have had sleep problems, not feeling like I am fully asleep and waking up early.
Anxiety and depression on and off and of different severities.
Memory, concentration and motivational problems.

Also, one of the most bothering symptoms that has always remained the same is what some might call brain fog. I feel it's more of a depersonalization/derealization thing. I feel like I'm in a fishbowl and nothing feels real. Everything almost feels slowed down.

I also have trouble with my eyes tracking. Like fast moving pictures on the TV, I have trouble following. Almost like my eyes can't track it. I can also only read things if the page is completely still. If it's moving at all I can't read what's on the page. Almost like my eyes can't track it. I feel this may be related to the depersonalization/derealization.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has these problems or can relate to them?

Also maybe @Freddd could chime in if he's still around.

Thanks everyone

Idie

Hi, cobain_justinsane,

Those are all symptoms of deficiency. I have had all of these. Been on Fredd protocol for almost 7 years. Healed most of these issues. It takes perseverance and constant tweaking but it saved me.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Those sound like typical symptoms of ME/CFS, not necessarily a B12 deficiency. There is some overlap.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

Recognizing a B12 deficiency
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be slow to develop, causing symptoms to appear gradually and intensify over time. It can also come on relatively quickly. Given the array of symptoms it can cause, the condition can be overlooked or confused with something else. Symptoms may include:
  • strange sensations, numbness, or tingling in the hands, legs, or feet
  • difficulty walking (staggering, balance problems)
  • anemia
  • a swollen, inflamed tongue
  • yellowed skin (jaundice)
  • difficulty thinking and reasoning (cognitive difficulties), or memory loss
  • paranoia or hallucinations
  • weakness
  • fatigue

It's possible. There is massive overlap in neurological problems. Some spectrums of some disorders completely mimic other disorders while the classical symptoms of it make it seem like something else.

I thought for quite a while methylation was my problem but after taking that to it's logical end I have only recovered on those fronts perhaps 25%. It looks like I have viral / bacterial issues at the root cause. Some anti inflammatory meds have helped more than a $200 / month methylation protocol, one single thing on its own.

I'd start with where the evidence lies. Start with the methylation if you don't have labs indicating you might have something like Lyme disease and co-infections or EBV / CMV / HHV-6 / coxackie viruses and all those. Perhaps start methylation and at the same time do your homework on those and try to get those labs drawn. I wish I hadn't had methylation tunnel vision.

It's beyond amazing how comprehensive this page is:

https://sites.google.com/site/cfstestingandtreatmentroadmap/

That will give you basically all you need to know as far as the viral / bacterial spectrum. A lot of people aren't aware of that side of ME/CFS and a lot of people in the viral forums aren't aware of this part, it all depends on what they ran into first and became immersed in.

I developed these symptoms exactly after taking a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor for a couple of months and they have continued ever since.

Exact same sleep issue and mental symptoms. Derealization where everything looks fake to me. I have the exact same problem with tracking things with my eyes. I can't follow fast moving things. I see streaks and afterimages. It's much harder to read now because it's like my eyes can't easily look from word to word and line to line anymore.

And I also have a vitamin b12 deficiency. Mine was 170 pg/mL (range: 211-911 pg/mL) last time I had it measured.

This post really struck me, but like the others said we could have the same symptoms but different conditions.

Last edited: