• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any help with my 23andme methylation and detox results most appreciated

Valentijn

Another question if that is ok. I would say I have often struggled with low mood over the years. I take anti d's now and definitely feel so much better on them, even though I worry when I read they are not good for you. Are my VDR taq ++ and BH2 ++ and BH4 ++ probably responsible for my low mood?
What are "anti d's"? The BHMT variations tested by Yasko are meaningless, so it's unlikely they are causing anything. Some relevant ones are at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-bhmt-and-bhmt2-variations.24512/

There is another issue I don't understand. I have COMT V158M +/- and COMT H62H +/- would I add the two together to say I am +/+ COMT overall?

I somehow thought that for each gene, such as MTHFR, COMT etc you could only have two in total of all the variations but I noticed in another thread that someone had COMT +/- with three different variations so I think I may have understood that wrongly? Many thanks
A gene can have hundreds or thousands of SNPs. 23andMe usually test for somewhere between a few and dozens per gene, though sometimes they test none and sometimes they test hundreds per gene. Each SNP can have an impact independent of other SNPs on that gene.

Sometimes +/+ means absolutely nothing at all, such as for the BHMT SNPs tested by Yasko. It's a symbol used by whoever is interpreting your results, indicating that they think it's a risk. To see if it is a risk, and what it's a risk of, it's necessary to read the research. +/- is usually completely meaningless, or just has a very tiny impact. Some missense mutations are an exception, such as MTHFR C677T.

In the case of COMT, research shows that V158M is only known to have an impact when homozygous (+/+), though it is a fairly substantial impact then. H62H also only has an impact when homozygous. So again, they're probably not having much of an impact, if any.

Critterina

If + is the "G" allele, then yes, it's a mild down-regulation. Personally I doubt it has enough impact to do much of anything noticeable, but the Yasko/Heartfixer theory is that it causes a reduced tolerance to methyl groups due to slower VDR using less methyl groups.

Additional VDR mutations tested by 23andMe, many of which can have a much more significant impact, are listed at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-vdr-variations.24480/
You know, I went and compared my results to this list and I have 8 of those +/+ in your list - but I never went and looked up the ones I have. I did it again, thinking the results I had were yours, and then was awestruck that we could have the exact same mutations! (to be honest, one that initially read A? now reads GG, so I had some excuse.)
Edit - now I looked them up. I can't find anything interesting on the following:
rs11574115...T362I...G
rs731236.....Taq1....G

rs7975232....Apa1....A
rs2239179....A1064G..T
rs886441.....C4004T..A
rs3819545....T6046C..G (Association: blood pressure - but no pubmed articles)
rs11168287...C8857T..GG
rs7139166....G1520C..CC
What am I doing wrong, in looking for what these mean.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Edit - now I looked them up. I can't find anything interesting on the following:
rs11574115...T362I...G
rs731236.....Taq1....G
rs7975232....Apa1....A
rs2239179....A1064G..T
rs886441.....C4004T..A
rs3819545....T6046C..G (Association: blood pressure - but no pubmed articles)
rs11168287...C8857T..GG
rs7139166....G1520C..CC
What am I doing wrong, in looking for what these mean.
You have the common version of the first one. And it's got a "?" after it because it's merely rare, with no research regarding it (which is usually the case for rare mutations). There should be bucket loads of research regarding Taq1 and Apa1 all over the place. The rest I found either via dbSNP or google scholar. Here's my notes on what the research said, though I don't have links to the research itself:
Taq1 T = lower 25 vitamin D, TT = less MS, augments VDR expression
Apa1 C = lower 25 vitamin d, AA/AC = lower bone density, C = more dermatitis
T6046C G = 1.58OR myopia, G = 1.24OR NHL
C4004T .82OR per G - decreased NHL risk
T6046C G = 1.58OR myopia, G = 1.24OR NHL
C8857T GG = 1.27OR melanoma, -.6OR breast cancer
G1520C CC = melanoma risk (+30%?), G = activity doubled with rs4516035 A

Typically a certain disease risk is associated with a up- or down-regulation, so figuring that out can help a lot. These are all probably fairly mild down-regulations, and might or not all be related (essentially one down-regulation instead of seven).

anniekim

Thanks @Valentijn and @Critterina for your help. I've had a bad ten days health wise so I haven't been on the forum much. Also I've never been good at science and that with being very poorly means I do find this whole subject very confusing and I feel very out of depth. I have appreciated both of your help. Many thanks
L