1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting BHMT and BHMT2 Variations

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Valentijn, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    These are the BHMT and BHMT2 SNPs which 23andMe genotypes, and which have research showing them to be relevant to varying extents. The missense mutation is underlined, bolded, and orange.

For BHMT, faster seems to always be better in the normal scheme of things, and there are a few variations where the rarer genotype or allele is speeding things up a bit. I'm homozygous for the rare version of the missense mutation :alien: :D

One Yasko SNP is omitted because it's not genotyped by 23andMe, and two others are omitted because there's no free research available showing that they're relevant. Although one is mentioned in paywalled articles, it's not mentioned in the abstracts, which almost always means it was looked at but it wasn't found to be relevant. The fourth Yasko SNP (BHMT-08, rs651852) is reported backwards - from the research it's pretty clear that the rare version is the more beneficial one.

BHMT
    rsID.........NAME....RISK...ETC
    rs16876512...C4658T..CC...T is protective
    rs651852.....C6457T..CC...T is protective
    rs6875201....A7961G..AA...G is protective
    rs7700970....C8721T..TT
    rs3797546....T1578C..CC
    rs3733890....R239Q...A

BHMT2
    rsID.........NAME....RISK...ETC
    rs682985.....D54D....CC
    rs625879.....A2010C..C....AA is protective
  2. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    So what is BHMT and why is it important?

The full name of the BHMT gene and the enzyme it creates is betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase. It "remethylates" homocysteine by taking a methyl group from betaine and attaching to the homocysteine. That results in methionine, which hooks up with some ATP to form SAMe.

SAMe is pretty important, so it's not good to have slow BHMT. But BHMT malfunction has never been identified as causing death, etc. One effect of slow BHMT can be elevated homocysteine, but there are other pathways which can compensate for it.

What should be done for downregulated BHMT? Supplementing SAMe might seem like an obvious choice, but SAMe regulates BHMT functioning - so if SAMe is high, BHMT will take a vacation. An option mentioned by heartfixer.com is to supplement phosphatidylcholine. No idea if or how that works, but I suppose it's worth a try :p

An alternative might be to make sure the other method of transformation of homocysteine into methionine (via MTR/MTRR) is well-supported. My general understanding is that supplementing B12 might help keep things moving in the right direction.

If all else fails and your methylation cycle just can't function well enough to produce SAMe itself one way or the other, supplementing methionine (+ methyl groups if needed), or SAMe directly might be the only solution.
  3. musicchick581

musicchick581 Senior Member

Thanks for posting. So through MTHFR Support using 23 and me results my BHMT is all -/- except BHMT08 which is +/+. Is this the one that is reported backwards? So +/+ is good??
  4. trollo

trollo Senior Member

Italy
    i suppose Valentjin that for support to BHMT you should use Betaine/TMG
  5. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Does BHMT need to be supported? Two of the Yasko SNPs have no impact, and one has a tiny impact. Seems like a non-issue to me.
  6. trollo

trollo Senior Member

Italy
    "What should be done for downregulated BHMT? Supplementing SAMe might seem like an obvious choice, but SAMe regulates BHMT functioning - so if SAMe is high, BHMT will take a vacation. An option mentioned by heartfixer.com is to supplement phosphatidylcholine. No idea if or how that works, but I suppose it's worth a try :p"

You wrote it, not me
  7. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's a reference to heartfixer. Personally I think it's pointless, but some people like to make things complicated, so they might as well listen to someone else who likes to make things pointlessly complicated.

Additionally, the original question is in regards BHMT-08, which does not have a negative impact as usually reported, whereas others BHMT SNPs can actually have an impact. And in those cases, it's possible that the heartfixer/Yasko/whatever approach is worth a try.

And your name does not give you an excuse to behave like a troll. While I find some of your questions and contributions useful, overall your manner of expressing yourself is offensive, confrontational, and inflammatory. In short, I'm not going to be responding to any such comments by you in the future until you can learn to make them in a more socially acceptable manner.

Bye.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    victoriana likes this.
  8. zzz0r

zzz0r Senior Member

@Valentijn I am not sure that BHMT08 mutation is reported as backwards in the research. At least I do not see that in heartifxer or in yasko's interpretations. Could you point that out to me please?
  9. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Probably http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2667971/ in the supplementary material. Tiny effect, increased risk of neural tube defects. Most people would think that's a more relevant risk than Yasko's odd fear of lower (normal) homocysteine.
  10. zzz0r

zzz0r Senior Member

I can not find it still.
  11. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Did you search via the RS number?
  12. zzz0r

zzz0r Senior Member

I just can not find it in the text that you linked. It is only referenced at the end of the text. However if a click on it the information provided are not enough and not for the 08 version
  13. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's in the supplementary table linked at the end of the article, rs651852. You'll probably need to read the entire article several times to figure out how they're reporting it.

If you still can't figure it out, feel free to ask Yasko for proof that it causes harm in the way that she claims it does.
  14. trollo

trollo Senior Member

Italy
    That's really incredible! Somebody just point out you contradicted your own words, and you accuse him to be a troll, and to express himself in offensive, confrontational, and inflammatory ways?? Are you serious?? Who the hell do you think you are? Are you here for conversing, or do you just pretend that people should nod everything you say like if you were some kind of Nobel Prize guru??
    YOU wrote "No idea if or how that works, but I suppose it's worth a try " these aren't words of somebody who consider it pointless, and i just suggested of TMG, then you create the controversy and accuse me to be a troll. The fact you pretend to be polite doesn't make you polite, neither you re supposed to teach to me how to behave in a socially acceptable manner. In fact you have been the only one to be rude i think.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.