• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alimemazine any experiences?

Hi All,

I've just been prescribed Alimemazine, an "old fashioned" anti-histamine, to help with my sleep. I'm just wondering if anyone else has used this and what your experience of it was? I'm particularly interested to know if it left you feeling groggy or zombie-like the next day.

Any information gratefully received!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can't tell you about that one but I do know that antihistamines work differently for everyone. It's pretty much trial and error for what dosage to take and even when to take it. I alternate between 2 OTC antihistamines. I had another RX, shoot forget which, and it didn't help at all.

Are these tablets? Maybe start with half?

You're just going to have to experiment I think.

I can't tell you about that one but I do know that antihistamines work differently for everyone. It's pretty much trial and error for what dosage to take and even when to take it. I alternate between 2 OTC antihistamines. I had another RX, shoot forget which, and it didn't help at all.

Are these tablets? Maybe start with half?

You're just going to have to experiment I think.
Hi minkygirl,

Yes, they are tablets, 10mg. I've not tried many medications for sleep/anxiety as I've always tried to avoid them but I'm at that point where I am in need of a little assistance. I'll try one as soon as I feel the need, probably in a couple of days the way things are going. Yes, trial and error indeed. Just emerged from zombie land with my last experiment, so going to have a few days of 'normality' (ha) before embarking on anything else.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@otterjack I know just how you feel. I've always needed something to sleep. About a year ago nothing worked. Now I have a pharmacy on my night stand with RX and OTC. I alternate between a bunch of stuff so I don't build tolerance.

With starting low you always run the risk of not sleeping. For me I have to decide what is worse, sleep deprivation or a drug hangover.

One of the OTC antihistamines I use is doxylamine. I use it as an add on with other stuff I take and don't feel too drugged from it. I also alternate with the active ingredient in chlortrimetron.

If you want to go the natural route I swear by Passion Flower caps. I always wake up in the middle of the night so I take 2 and they give me a few hours more sleep. They won't work alone for me but they might for you since you can sleep without stuff. Just need it for "special" nights.

Normal? what's that?