• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5 co-factors needed for creation of neurotransmitters

drob31

Folate, B6, Tyrosine, Magnesium, and Vitamin C must be present at "optimal" levels for the creation / conversion to these neurotransmitters:

serotonin
dopamine
norepinephrine
epinephrine
GABA

It makes me wonder if a improper diet, leaky gut, and or malabsorption would limit these to be less than optimal.

pamojja

It makes me wonder if a improper diet, leaky gut, and or malabsorption would limit these to be less than optimal.

Add to it improper metabolism of any one of these nutrients (ie. folic acid). Also despite gradually titrating B6 over 10 years and very high serum levels, only now above 200 mg/d (pyridoxamin/pyridoxal half/half) I started to dream like a mad-man during sleep. Before never had dream-recall, except occasionally with resistant starch or probiotics on an empty stomach and taking a nap.

drob31

The number 1 is AM SUNLIGHT. That is what most people are lacking.

Supplements can not replace a good environment.

I also think vitamin D is important as well. It activates over 2000 genes.

It increases T-regs, and using mega doses has been shown to bring some autoimmune diseases into remission.

keenly

I also think vitamin D is important as well. It activates over 2000 genes.

It increases T-regs, and using mega doses has been shown to bring some autoimmune diseases into remission.

Sunpplement, not supplement. Our guts were NOT meant to take a lot of Hormone D. We need sulfated D from the sun.

pamojja

Sunpplement, not supplement. Our guts were NOT meant to take a lot of Hormone D. We need sulfated D from the sun.

Sunpplement AND supplement. In my case sun-worship alone never sufficed to get sufficient levels. I tried it to extreme by sunbathing without suncream on vacations on a subtropical beach 2 hrs in AM and again PM for 6 weeks. Each year.

After many years of sun and supplements, the need for the later is finally decreasing sharply.

Last edited:

pamojja

Add to it improper metabolism of any one of these nutrients (ie. folic acid). Also despite gradually titrating B6 over 10 years and very high serum levels, only now above 200 mg/d (pyridoxamin/pyridoxal half/half) I started to dream like a mad-man during sleep. Before never had dream-recall, except occasionally with resistant starch or probiotics on an empty stomach and taking a nap.

Have probably to revise after reading this comment by @Gondwanaland in an other thread:

It makes sense. B6, magnesium and resistant starch users report having complex dreams and dream recalling.

The few milligrams increase in B6 wasn't as much a change as recently my magnesium status. Have been severely deficient in Mg (suspect because higher Vitamin D3 serum levels need more Mg) since almost 10 years. And despite having supplemented in average 1.5 g/d of oral elemental Mg, very painful muscle-cramps only got alleviated somewhat. However, since November last year got Mg-sulfate IVs, and after about 6 of them (May) muscle-cramps ceased completely, at last.

What's remarkable is, that it still took months after the Mg ceased cramps, for finally Mg being also available to be utilized by the B6.