• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. GreyOwl

Hypothalamic PVN, autonomic dysfunction and limbic system theory

I really liked your blog @Iritu1021 - thank you for sharing. I agree with your hypothesis, and further I think that the variations we see can be attributed very much to the triggering insult, whether it was allergic (mast cell initiated), viral, toxic and also age, given children have a much...
  2. GreyOwl

International Canadian ME/CFS Conference May 3-5, 2018

Sorry if I missed this, what is TT virus?
  3. GreyOwl

2018 is on track for a Record number of MECFS papers published.

Is it possible to get the number of papers per year minus the BPS ones?
  4. GreyOwl

Pediatric Primer

I note that the primer has had more views than 99% of the articles published in Frontiers: http://loop-impact.frontiersin.org/impact/article/267745#totalviews/views and also that most of those views come from the UK: http://loop-impact.frontiersin.org/impact/article/267745#demographics
  5. GreyOwl

David Tuller: My brief encounter with Prof Crawley

Here is a link to the new paed diagnosis and mgmt primer. It is a review, written by experts (incl Dr Speight) and published in June 2017. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2017.00121/full Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young...
  6. GreyOwl

Crawley lied: No harassment reports (Bristol University)

"...raises questions about such accusations and about those who make them". Delusional, paranoid, convinced of their own power or divinity. I'm sure there is a psych diagnosis that covers all those.
  7. GreyOwl

Calcium Lets T Cells Use Sugar to Multiply & Fight Infection

I don’t think this research relates to dietary recommendations @Wonkmonk. It’s describing research into a previously unknown mechanism in a metabolic/immune pathway.
  8. GreyOwl

What Psychological Topics Need to Be Researched?

What proportion of psychological BPS researchers derive income from consultancy to insurance companies or government welfare providers? If this number is statistically significant, does this represent a conflict of interest? Should this potential conflict of interest be better reported? Should...
  9. GreyOwl

Phil Parker On Wikipedia trying top get SMILE added

"If a client comes to you feeling they have been cursed, you may need additional information about their past lives in order to help them and this is where the use of tarot/medicine cards is beneficial." Also dowsing.
  10. GreyOwl

Allergy in bed/sleep?

Hi, when the allergists thought my daughter's rhinitis was allergic, they recommended these products: http://www.allergend.com.au/ Dust mite allergy (IgE) is very common in Australia. I did buy the products (pillow slips and mattress covers) and they are a lovely, thick cotton. I think the...
  11. GreyOwl

NHS MUS Page to be archived

"There is a possibility that Khaly drops two unique objects, the Dark Look of Khaly..."???
  12. GreyOwl

Examples of how psychological causes have been postulated for many medical conditions

Some doctors are still quite happy to blame mothers, and even to create new diagnoses for those mothers to be able to do so, when it's convenient for those doctors. Saves a lot of testing! Just one anecdatum.
  13. GreyOwl

Why do I shake sleeping when take cinnamon?

Sensitivity to cinnamic acid?
  14. GreyOwl

NICE guideline for ME/CFS is unethical – Dr Diane O’Leary, Kennedy Institute of Ethics | 23 August 2

Using subjective reports of improvement from people who are presumed to have irrational ideas about their health would seem to be illogical.
  15. GreyOwl

NICE guideline for ME/CFS is unethical – Dr Diane O’Leary, Kennedy Institute of Ethics | 23 August 2

I imagine it would be hard to get funding for a study to show CBT is useless. I imagine a study which found a negative result (such as CBT is useless) would be less likely to be published. I imagine a scientist who studies the effects of Ritux would not be inclined to spend time on studying CBT...
  16. GreyOwl

I'd just like a plausible model for how CBT/GET can influence objective immune dysfunction.
  17. GreyOwl

Pediatric Primer

Check this COI statement: :heart:
  18. GreyOwl

Lancet - editorial - 'a proper place for retraction'.

The objections to later research are because they were based, in no small part, from the conclusions of the first.
  19. GreyOwl

Clinical trials revolution could change the future of medical research

On a day when I'm forced to acknowledge another year has passed without answers or support, I found this: Clinical trials revolution could change the future of medical research
  20. GreyOwl

Trial By Error: No Ethical Review of Crawley School Absence Study

Looking forward to finding out what's "now happening"!
  21. GreyOwl

Simon McGrath blogs: Mark Davis finds the strongest evidence yet for ME/CFS immune activation..

Thank you @Woolie, that is at the right level for me too :)
  22. GreyOwl

Trial By Error: No Ethical Review of Crawley School Absence Study

I don't know who would be responsible for following this up @lilpink. It does appear to be sinister.
  23. GreyOwl

For those who attend the UK's Fatigue Clinics: what your therapist is told/believes

It has never occurred to me that there is an "improper" way to do things. How far does it go? Is there a "proper" way to put bread in a toaster? What is the reasonable consequence if one doesn't? I will always remember the quiet chat the school nurse gave me while my daughter was unwell and...
  24. GreyOwl

Dr Byron Hyde's video talking about the 1904 epidemic, the compensation paid to LA ME victims etc

Is there a link to the PDF? The link this points to is broken.
  25. GreyOwl

Cognitive and behavioral coping in people with CFS: An exploratory study...

I came to do a search on beta adrenergic receptor antibodies, and instead came across this. LOL.