• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. dmholmes

Positive Influenza after Tamiflu

2/22 this year I went to ER after a couple of days of being sick. Diagnosed with influenza based on symptoms even though the quick test was negative. I was on Tamiflu for 5 days. On 3/8 I was back at the ER for panic attack and tested positive for influenza A and B. Is that odd or is it common...
  2. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

So you think it is worth pursuing with antivirals?
  3. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

Thanks for the help @Hip.
  4. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

No, the first VZV test was this year, illness started in 2008. So first test was almost 11 years afterwards.
  5. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

Actually looking back I see my IGG was quite high also. IGM Ranges 0.00-0.90 Negative 0.91-1.09 Equivocal >=1.10 Positive IGG Ranges <135 Negative - Antibody not detected 135.00-164.99 Equivocal > or = 165.00 Positive - Antibody detected Results 3/18/2019 IGG 2,255.00 IGM 1.00 (High)...
  6. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

That's the issue, my IGM has been equivocal twice this year and elevated on most recent test Wednesday. But no shingles.
  7. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

Yes, so what does that mean having high IGM 11 years later? Primary infection without presentation?
  8. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

Right, well I only tested IGG once and it was not elevated. But my IGM is.
  9. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

So not worth pursuing zoster?
  10. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

I've never been tested for enteroviruses, not sure where to do that. I haven't had any shingles outbreaks since the one in 2008, I only have the elevated IGG. Might be a false positive?
  11. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

Thanks @Hip, I saw that and one of his videos. I'm really looking for direction. I'll talk to my doc about trying out an antiviral.
  12. dmholmes

Varicella Zoster IGM

Hello all, quick zoster antibodies question. About a month after my disease onset in 2008 I contracted shingles. I've tested varicella zoster antibodies 3 times this year. 2 times it was in the Equivocal range and 1 time Positive. Is this worth pursuing? What should I be looking for? Antivirals...
  13. dmholmes

Biotin and Methylation

And Biotin made constipation worse.
  14. dmholmes

Biotin and Methylation

I never experienced the relief I got originally from 300 mcg of Biotin. I'm not sure but I think I tried up to at least 10 mg.
  15. dmholmes

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

The resistant starch increased my fatigue big time, and put on some midsection fat.
  16. dmholmes

Supplements do not have any real effect on symptoms

I've posted the supplements that gave me complete remission, and posted about relapse. The improvement is obvious, like a light switch turned on for me. Assuming no confounders the supplements would be: Biotin (1 week, no effect after) Super Thisilyn (relapse/remit for a couple of months, no...
  17. dmholmes

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

My CB arrived, took 2 weeks.
  18. dmholmes

Relapsing/Remitting - Vitamin D

Just a little update. Relapsing and remitting continues. Molybdenum is apparently key also.
  19. dmholmes

Candida & Biofilms - Theory & Protocol

Those recommendations come from the Perfect Health Diet. I don't do it by weight, but rather go by the percentages. 30% of 3000 calories would be 900 calories or 225 grams of carbohydrate a day. 1 cup of cooked rice ~50 grams carbohydrate, depending on type of rice. 1 medium sweet potato ~25...
  20. dmholmes

Thanks @Martial. I did 20,000 IU for a few days. I'm only aiming to get to 40-50 ng/mL.
  21. dmholmes

Can't afford that often. It's up to 35 after 6 weeks.
  22. dmholmes

I've been deficient for quite a while, perhaps most of my life. In the 16-24 ng/mL range for most tests over the last few years. Day after starting 10,000 IU complete remission for a few days, then relapse. A few days later remission again, then relapse. The cycle continues. So out of all the...
  23. dmholmes

The worst feeling with sleepiness...

Thanks @Martial. I've really struggled with a label for this one since there is no headache-type pain associated. Do you think it's a massive acute anxiety feeling from inflammation or hypoxia? Have you measured oxygen levels during an episode?
  24. dmholmes

The worst feeling with sleepiness...

I really have no idea how to best describe this. Sometimes when I crash, along with extreme sleepiness there is a really bad mental feeling. It's not while sleeping, but trying to sleep and so sleepy it feels like the life is being sucked out of you. Not sure but it may be a type of anxiety or...
  25. dmholmes

food food food

Have you looked the Perfect Health Diet macronutrient recommendations?
  26. dmholmes

Resistant Starch--discussion of benefits/adverse effects only

I think the only place online he has mentioned it is in the Perfect Health Diet Facebook group which is private.
  27. dmholmes

IBS much improved after removing CHLORAMINE (not the same as chlorine) from my tap drinking water, which is not removed by carbon filters

I had a similar experience. Major bloating, gas, reflux, and stomach inflamation :-(
  28. dmholmes

How to make the paleo diet easier

I should be the last person giving food prep tips, I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen. I enjoy it. I always say the hardest part about Paleo is doing the dishes :). I think the low-hanging fruit would be buying pre-washed chopped vegetables, frozen vegetables, ground meats, canned seafood...
  29. dmholmes

How to make the paleo diet easier

To quote a recent tweet by Chris Kresser: "It’s better to eat the wrong food w/ the right attitude than the right food w/ the wrong attitude."—Chinese proverb My intro to Paleo was via the Perfect Health Diet, I think it is a very sustainable flavor of Paleo. Good choice for anyone not wanting...
  30. dmholmes

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Yep, but I'd count berries even though they are low in carb/sugar. I should say that I don't make it a habit to count, once you know the carb count for the safe starches you eat it's pretty routine. For me white rice (~ 50 grams per cooked cup) is my most frequent safe starch.