• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how do you reduce or remove serotonin?

Does anybody know how to safely remove excess serotonin at home as I'm trying to find a doctor's office to see me tomorrow?

I need to remove excess serotonin because as I'm dealing with my symptoms I'm coming to believe that it was Serotonin Symdrome in particular that sent me to the ER 2 times in one week. For my body, I overdosed on Sam-e and Benadryl (traps serotonin in body and brain). I developed all the symptoms except hallucinations because I don't think I had it severe but it's still strong.

https://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Serotonin-Syndrome
https://www.healthline.com/health/serotonin-syndrome#symptoms

Runner5

Usually, you take the opposing amino acid. For serotonin, I think that would be L-Tyrosine i.e. increase dopamine? But you can take just a general protein shake, particularly the whey kind (and I'm Vegan - so it really is the best or I definitely wouldn't recommend it) -- but it has a lot of aminos and you body can use them to straighten things out.

Typically 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, GABA, Sam-E -- they can make you feel funky for 24-48 hours after taking them. I've had totally 100% healthy friends who took some for jet lag or this or that, and had 'hangover' -- so I usually tread a little carefully with those.

I do have to take amino acids though or I develop psychosis. I generally feel like the rug is being pulled out from under me. I imagine everyone in my life hates me. My husband is leaving. I have locked myself in a room before and refused to come out. I usually think suicide is the only way out. Sometimes I've hidden in a closet. And this actually started when I was young. I would cry and scream for hours, 'you don't love me, you hate me!' and I had night terrors with vivid hallucinations, my bed is made of spiders etc. and I would sleep walk. Oh' childhood was such a good time for me, haha.

I've gone 3 years without my husband having to come home on an emergency to pry me out of a room where I've had a breakdown. That's pretty good for me and a personal record, but if I go even a few days without supplementing -- all bets are off.

I really would like to know why and why my symptoms are so God awful severe.

That is to say hun, I feel for ya. Watch out with going to the ER, they'll shoot you full of Haldol and Section you. I've never heard of Seratonin syndrome without the psych meds present. If you are on meds, you have got to be careful with amino acids and I would say don't take them at all, they will interact with your meds. Absolutely. Be careful.

Of course, drink a lot of water, get some rest. Watch a funny movie. Take your mind off things. "This too will pass." -- that's what my mum used mumble.

@Runner5 Oh dear God, I'm so sorry you experienced all of those horrible problems. I hope things improve. Thank you for responding to my question. I've had some help with people on here so I'm hopeful. But I haven't slept much at all only 2 hours today and 3 hours yesterday and 4 hours the other days, mostly same for all of last week. I slept less the week before last week. I feel really messed up right onw and trembling and shivering all over but trying to hold on. I have a doctor's appointment tommororw

Gondwanaland

Tese help to lower serotonin:

B2 + Magnesium Glycinate, B3

Foods:
raw carrot, grated + coconut oil
gelatin

Last edited:
Also avoid Monoamine Oxidase inhibitors

https://www.botanical-online.com/english/vegetalmaois.htm

https://www.everydayhealth.com/maoi/guide/

Edit: especially turmeric can worsen SS

Wow! I didn’t realize but I was not only eating dangerous food combinations but also taking tyrosine pill in the morning and tryptophan pill in the afternoon not realizing that it causes the production of more serotonin- while I was taking Sam-e and 5-HTP... maybe that’s why my symptoms have been taking so long to leave my body after stopping for 1 week! Insane.