• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ingredients in injections?

Does anyone know if vitamin injections in general can cause adverse effects on the body, either do to their buffering agents, or the fact that you're bypassing digestion/the liver? I've wondered if forcing the body to accept fractionated vitamins by IM or IV could possibly be doing harm.

The reason I'm asking is that since starting using vitamin IMs my inflammatory bowel has been acting up. I did the IMs because I thought the whole point was to bypass digestion but now it seems my body is having an unfavorable reaction.

The only other thing I can consider is that my immune system is somehow being upregulated by the vitamins and maybe it's triggering my auto-immune. In other thread it was suggested that perhaps upregulation is causing massive detox and I need to chelate more.

Any ideas?

Learner1

I do injections of HB12, MB12, and high potency B complex. I'm allergic to corn and had trouble with MB12 made by bacteria grown in a corn medium. Switching to a differently sourced MB12 made my symptoms go away.

The massive detox theory is a good one. Do you have adequate molybdenum, B1, glycine, glutamine, cysteine, and methionine to make the whole system work? You should discuss this with whoever prescribed the injections.

Thanks a lot Learner for your reply, once again.

I unfortunately don't have regular access to my naturopath due to financial constraints. I am looking into finding molybdenum from Thorne. I take B1 as part of B complex. I have L-glutamine powder from Thorne, would that suffice?

I have NAC, but it seems to make me feel worse for some reason. I thought methionine is part of the methylation cycle, if everything is fed? Forgive my ignorance.

I'm trying to avoid the methyl trap as described by Freddd. Maybe I am taking too much B12/5MTHF and it's causing too much booting up .

Learner1

Thanks a lot Learner for your reply, once again.
You're welcome.
[Quote[
I unfortunately don't have regular access to my naturopath due to financial constraints. I am looking into finding molybdenum from Thorne. I take B1 as part of B complex. I have L-glutamine powder from Thorne, would that suffice?
I take Thorne molybdenum. You may not be getting enough B1. What they put in complexes is just a guess for average people. I've found I need to individualize my Bs. If you need glutamine the Thorne powder is fine - too much can make you anxious. Most people tend to need glycine and NAC first, then glutamine.
I have NAC, but it seems to make me feel worse for some reason.
You're probably mobilizing some toxin and you're not able to eliminate it through your transsulfuration pathway (which moly and B1 support) and feces - need adequate fiber (vegetables) and water. If it can't get eliminated, it may be reabsorbed, giving you symptoms.
I thought methionine is part of the methylation cycle, if everything is fed? Forgive my ignorance.
No worries... It's in the methionine, or B12, cycle. It is used to make SAMe, and recycles homocysteine and vice versa. Most people have too much homocysteine, and need to feed the folate and methionine cycles to reduce it. A few people use up their homocysteine and can't recycle methionine, and run short of methionine (I'm one of them...)
I'm trying to avoid the methyl trap as described by Freddd. Maybe I am taking too much B12/5MTHF and it's causing too much booting up .
I've found there is no substitute for a good test to figure out what's going on. Saves a lot of guessing and mistakes. We are all individuals, with different genes, levels of toxicity, and other factors, like stress, infections, etc.

I do a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval every 9-12 months, which runs around $160 with their prepay program.

I never cease to be surprised at what I learn. I used to be extremely short of B6 until I cranked that up to 350mg daily, which is a huge amount. I need some glycine. I need folate, but usually need far more B12. I was short of moly and B1. And recently, I found I'm short of B2, not good if you want to make energy. And methionine, which most people don't need I've learned over time how to match my symptoms to my nutrient status and adjust, but its taken years.

Taking someone else's protocol is a recipe for disaster. You need to find what works for you.

Early on, I learned a lot from Amy Yasko and Dr. Roberts "Heartfixer." (Googelthem and methylation.) People will say they have errors in their info, but 10 years ago, when I started, there was less available, and they helped me with the basic concepts. Ben Lynch has gathered a lot of research together and has developed tools and YouTube videos. BeyondMTHFR has some good info, too.

Learning and understanding how the dynamics of methylation work will empower you to control your symptoms better. It won't cure ME/CFS, but its a foundation for your immune system, neurotransmitters, DNA replication, and energy production, and reduce your odds of cancer. It's important.

Good luck!