• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mirtzapine - can I cut the tablet in half?

Hi guys

Been taking mirtazapine for a month on 15mg for sleep although I do have slight anxiety/stress problem from being ill.

I find it works amazingly but I feel really drowsy in the mornings. Would cutting my dose down be better ? Ifso, can I cut the tablet in half? Is it safe to do so? There is a line in the middle of the tablet.

Alternatively, is there's something else I can try for sleep and slight anxiety/stress related condition? That's non addictive.

Thanks

Thanks so much.

One more question, I've read some anecdotal things online that taking a smaller dose makes you more drowsy, is that true ? Surely I would think the opposite applies? X

So tonight I'll be taking 7.5mg instead of 15mg.

adreno

PR activist
One more question, I've read some anecdotal things online that taking a smaller dose makes you more drowsy, is that true ? Surely I would think the opposite applies? X
Well the higher doses activate norepinephrine more, which may feel more activating. The antihistamine action (which makes you drowsy) is pretty much saturated even at lower doses. But this is mostly theory. I would just try it and see how you feel in practice.

bombsh3ll

It is true that noradrenergic activity tends to increase with mirtazapine dose but low doses have more of an antihistaminic effect, due to differences in how strongly the drug binds different receptors. I personally got no additional benefit from 30mg and had problems with shaking and myoclonic jerks. Either 15mg or 7.5mg works ok for me. I take it for nausea and sleep. (It is a potent anti-sickness medicine in veterinary care just not licenced as such in humans).

I have tried to come off several times as it has made my cholesterol go up to 6.8 which is a known side effect, but I have no appetite and lose weight rapidly without it so am back on for now.

I hope you find a comfortable dose for you. If you need to cut smaller than halves, you can buy good pill cutters very cheaply on ebay.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Its likely to be addictive but most of the sleep medications are, but they work differently.
To be honest i would rather go with Zolpidem or Zopiclone or another of the Z drugs because they are less likely to cause cognitive symptoms/blunting/problems

sb4

I also half the tablet. Any more than 7.5mg and I'm up all night with racing heart and feel awful. Any less and my POTS is worse.

62milestogojoe

What's a forum then?
I also half the tablet. Any more than 7.5mg and I'm up all night with racing heart and feel awful. Any less and my POTS is worse.
Have you tried using 5-HTP or L-theanine with a 500mg magnesium tablet 1 hour before going to bed? It usually works for me.

sb4

Have you tried using 5-HTP or L-theanine with a 500mg magnesium tablet 1 hour before going to bed? It usually works for me.

I have not. I like the idea however I'm trying a bunch of things at once atm so trying to keep as many variables the same as possible. Hopefully I will remember this later should I need it.

62milestogojoe

What's a forum then?
I have not. I like the idea however I'm trying a bunch of things at once atm so trying to keep as many variables the same as possible. Hopefully I will remember this later should I need it.
I understand. It gets confusing to keep track of what is helpful and what isn't when you start trying different stuff at the same time.

Does anyone know if I can 15mg mirtzapine with flucloxacillin and fluconazole? (I'm thinking I can't but just seeing if anyone knows for sure..)

Just for the odd night here and there until the course of antibiotics is finished

Last edited: