• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Minding my pqq's ;)

Kes

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone has tried the supplement pqq, please? Brands and dosages and how long you took it and with what would be helpful to know.
I understand it makes new mitochondria but it doesn't seem to get mentioned much alongside other mitochondrial supplements, which I've generally tried. I wondered if it could be a slow burner that takes a while to have a noticeable effect.
Looking for something to help with brain fog and improve mental energy?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I tried Jarrow BioPQQ and noticed some benefit in energy and cognition but had to stop taking it after a month due to headaches in the area of my brain stem. Headache is a common side effect with PQQ. I tried it again after a month and found that it worsened energy and thinking instead of improving them.

Kes

Thanks for sharing your experience of pqq @PatJ . I just wanted to say to anyone who may get the idea to try pqq as a result of reading this thread, (not that there's been much to encourage you :)) to do some research first. I read somewhere it depletes your glutathione for example. (Sorry for lack of source)

Kes

Thanks LifeIsSweet :thumbsup:I've got a weakness for puns I'm afraid. No, not tried it yet. Of late my body can't seem to handle any supplements , even basic stuff like multivitamins and vitamin D and fish oils. I'm trying to figure out why. I'm currently thinking of getting tested for POTS/OI. Have you had any success with any supplements/ other treatments?

I love puns too, much to my husband's dismay. I haven't tried PQQ yet. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on supplements and either I don't feel anything or I am too exhausted to take them.

I recently had a tilt table test. I have orthostatic hypotension but not POTS. I had one saline infusion and didn't feel much different, maybe even worse. BUT, as I'm sure you know a LOT of people feel better after infusions. I will try another infusion soon.

I'm going to start taking antibiotics for high mycoplasma pneumonae levels and then antivirals for all sorts of viruses. I'm scared to do this - but feel a little assured because I was prescribe these meds by Dr. Montoya's PA at Stanford. One person had a very positive result, especially when combining Valtrex with Cymbalta and LDN.

Kes

Yeah I love a good pun but they're not everybody's thing.

I wish you well with the treatments you are going to be trying. I hope they help you. It's really good you've been able to see Dr Montoya/ his team.

maddietod

I've just finished 3 months on Jarrow PQQ 20mg daily. I must have a primary mitochondrial problem, because this is the first thing in 30+ years that's improved my energy. I also take shilajit, which is said to potentize PQQ - it has for me.

I noticed a small uptick in energy within days, and improvement has been steady. Recently I've had 2 weeks in a row where I experienced 1 day each week of completely normal energy. I gardened for 9 hours one day, and painted a shed for 8 hours the second. I didn't crash, but I was very careful for a few days each time.

There have been no negative side effects, and my sleep has improved some (3 nightly wakings instead of 5).

Kes

Glad to hear it's helped you @maddietod .If you wouldn't mind, I'm sure people would be interested to hear how you get on with the PQQ. Hope it continues to be helpful for you..