• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant improvement on MitoQ

cigana

Taking 2x 5mg MitoQ per day has significantly decreased my fatigue levels. The effect occured within a few hours of taking my first dose.

MitoQ is a form of ubiquinone specifically adapted to enter the mitochondria (with a factor 800 increase in absorption). Ubquinone is a form of CoQ10.
I've previously tried large doses of CoQ10 with no effect.

I have a genetic deficiency (A16V++) to produce mitochondrial SOD (Mn-SOD or SOD2), so this may be the reason why it helps me. MitoQ works as a SOD mimetic (see this paper), but on the other hand, I have tried Mn-SOD mimetics in the past, as well as Mn-SOD up-regulators, to no effect.
MitoQ has also been documented to lower inflammatory cytokines (see here).

MitoQ is surprisingly well-researched.

Last edited:

drob31

Interesting. I've been experimenting with everything and have PQQ coming in.

I know mitoQ is very expensive. Glad it's working for you.

cigana

Is PQQ basically the same as mitoQ?
No, MitoQ is patented. The general technique was developed as a means of getting drugs directly into the mitochondria. This is the first and as far as I know only application of that technique. As a result they claim the absorption is 800 times higher than conventional products.

Gingergrrl

@cigana thanks for posting this and it sounds really good. Do you have a link to the actual product? Where do you buy it and how much coq10 is in each pill? I know you said you take 2x 5 mg but coq10 is usually around 100 mg or 200 mg per pill so I was confused!

ETA: I think I found the product but it doesn't seem to list the ingredients. What is in it besides coq10?

Last edited:

cigana

@cigana thanks for posting this and it sounds really good. Do you have a link to the actual product? Where do you buy it and how much coq10 is in each pill? I know you said you take 2x 5 mg but coq10 is usually around 100 mg or 200 mg per pill so I was confused!
Here's the product link: http://www.mitoq.com/uk/supplements/
The reason for the lower doses it that only a fraction of the coq10 is absorbed, and then only a factor of that gets into the mitochondria. With MitoQ, the absorption into your mitochondria is much much higher (a factor of 800 or more).
(I have actually never tried high dose ubiquinone, so I can't say for sure that it wouldn't also work).

Gingergrrl

@cigana Thank you and we must have posted at the same time. Thank you for the link. Can you tell me if there are other ingredients on the bottle? Also does it give you tachycardia or make you feel agitated or overstimulated?

cigana

@cigana Thank you and we must have posted at the same time. Thank you for the link. Can you tell me if there are other ingredients on the bottle? Also does it give you tachycardia or make you feel agitated or overstimulated?
No probs. The other ingredients are: maltodextrin, microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide, encapsulating aids. No animal products or gluten.
It doesn't give me tachycardia or overstimulation. But then again, I have absolutely no reaction to 99% of products/drugs. I do know that they say to take it in the morning, because it can be stimulating for some people. Perhaps you could try an ordinary ubiquinone first if you are concerned?

Gingergrrl

@cigana thank you again and we are the opposite b/c I have reactions to 99% of the meds I do try! It sounds like coq10 is the only active ingredient if I am understanding you correctly. I take 400 mg per day of regular coq10 currently with no problems but also do not notice any benefits.

cigana

@cigana thank you again and we are the opposite b/c I have reactions to 99% of the meds I do try! It sounds like coq10 is the only active ingredient if I am understanding you correctly. I take 400 mg per day of regular coq10 currently with no problems but also do not notice any benefits.
Yep correct, the Mitoq ubiquinone is the only active ingredient.

Hip

Taking 2x 5mg MitoQ per day has significantly decreased my fatigue levels. The effect occured within a few hours of taking my first dose.

That is very interesting, @cigana.

I am also +/+ for SOD2 A16V (rs4880). SOD2 of course is the gene that makes SOD2 (aka MnSOD), the mitochondrial version of the antioxidant superoxide dismutase.

Not so long ago I tried out the spin trap antioxidant tempol, which is a potent SOD2 memetic, but did not notice much benefit from it. However, I think I may try MitoQ.

How many days have you been testing out MitoQ? Has the decrease in fatigue been consistent, as far as you can tell? And have there been any other benefits you have noticed, like decreased brain fog, decreased sound sensitivity, or decreased PEM?

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I am also +/+ for SOD2 A16V (rs4880). SOD2 of course is the gene that makes SOD2 (aka MnSOD), the mitochondrial version of the antioxidant superoxide dismutase.

@Hip I looked at my Genetic Genie results and I am +/- on that SOD2 gene. I don't actually know what this means but in your opinion, could I benefit from MitoQ?

Hip

@Gingergrrl
It's only a hunch really that MitoQ might be more beneficial for those with a SOD2 A16V mutation. So you will only know if it is beneficial by trying out MitoQ.

SDSue

Southeast
Hi, @cigana I'm wondering if you can quantify the change for us. For example, were you able to do more or did you simply feel better? Also, did you suffer brain fog and did the mitoQ help with that?

Thanks so much. It's always wonderful to hear when someone has success with a supplement.

Sidereal

Glad to hear it's working for you, @cigana. I am tempted to try this. I see it's only shipped from New Zealand and very expensive which means it's likely to get customs charges slapped on it as well.

I've not had any luck with standard CoQ10 supplements in the past, though I never tried the high doses some people here take. I don't have the SNP in question.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've used Cq10 and also Ubiquinone, never noticed any improvement but continued with them for a long time as we read its important for us. Tempted to try this but the cost and the shipping to the UK:(

cigana

That is very interesting, @cigana.

I am also +/+ for SOD2 A16V (rs488). SOD2 of course is the gene that makes SOD2 (aka MnSOD), the mitochondrial version of the antioxidant superoxide dismutase.

Not so long ago I tried out the spin trap antioxidant tempol, which is a potent SOD2 memetic, but did not notice much benefit from it. However, I think I may try MitoQ.

How many days have you been testing out MitoQ? Has the decrease in fatigue been consistent, as far as you can tell? And have there been any other benefits you have noticed, like decreased brain fog, decreased sound sensitivity, or decreased PEM?
I also tried Tempol, to no effect. That's why I'm cautious about relating this improvement to the A16V mutation. I also tried inducing Mn-SOD with pycnogenol and other substance, to no effect.

I've been on it for 6 days, and the effect has been consistent every single day. The effect does not seem to be improving, it's just maintaining a constant level of fatigue reduction.
I would say that PEM is also decreased, though it is hard to tell after only 6 days (and I don't want to push too far, but so far so good).
The only other effect I've noticed is a marked increase in the quality of my skin (no spots, reduced keratosis - this hints that MitoQ is having a detox effect).
My brain fog is not a significant symptom, and I've not noticed any cognitive improvements. Sound sensitivity is not an issue for me.

Really my best guess is this is reducing oxidative stress, and I'm quite surprised to discover OS could contribute so much to that feeling of fatigue.