• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Forbes: Entrepreneur Needed To Cure Anti-Initiative Disease

I thought this was a great reframing of the ME 'story'.
Perhaps 20 million people worldwide have had their lives curtailed by what I'm calling the Anti-Initiative disease. (In a moment, I'll tell you its more traditional names.)

This disease is horrific in that it literally punishes its victims when they display initiative. For example, if a patient who can't get out of bed for weeks then has a good day and decides to go sit in her backyard, she may then be dramatically worse for months.

A committee that studied this affliction suggested that it should be called "systemic exertion intolerance disease, or SEID... (because this) name captures a central characteristic of the disease: the fact that exertion of any sort— physical, cognitive or emotional—can adversely affect patients in many organ systems and in many aspects of their lives."

In other words, it punishes initiative of any sort.

Last week, I came face-to-face with the devastating nature of this disease when I attended a private FiRe Films Sundance screening - moderated by Managing Director Sharon Anderson Morris - of a new documentary, UNREST.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceka...to-cure-anti-initiative-disease/#1d49de532d88

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Have to say, I don't like the term "anti-initiative". Makes it sound as though if we just had enough initiative, we'd be fine.

It's a terrific article, though!
That was my initial reaction, too, but I think it works for two reasons:

1. It explains that initiative is punished, and

2. The Forbes readership is largely people with an extra helping of initiative- it hits them where they live, they know that their initiative is what makes them succeed where people of similar IQ and education don't, it might even scare them a little bit to think that that quality could be punished. It makes sufferers relatable and more deserving of support.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That was my initial reaction, too, but I think it works for two reasons:

1. It explains that initiative is punished, and

2. The Forbes readership is largely people with an extra helping of initiative- it hits them where they live, they know that their initiative is what makes them succeed where people of similar IQ and education don't, it might even scare them a little bit to think that that quality could be punished. It makes sufferers relatable and more deserving of support.

I agree that in the context of the article it's fine, because it's explained - but I wouldn't want to see it cropping up anywhere else without an explanation. :)

Sasha

Fine, thank you