• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A New Data Point?

What is your birth sex, and was your mother sick while pregnant with you, and what type of onset?

• Female. Yes, my mother was sick during conception/pregnancy, gradual onset

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female. Yes, my mother was sick during conception/pregnancy, rapid onset

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Female. No, there were no obvious complications during conception/pregnancy, gradual onset

• Female. No, there were no obvious complications during conception/pregnancy, rapid onset

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Male. Yes, my mother was sick during conception/pregnancy, gradual onset

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Male. Yes, my mother was sick during conception/pregnancy, rapid onset

• Male.No, there were no obvious complications during conception/pregnancy, gradual onset

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Male. No, there were no obvious complications during conception/pregnancy, rapid onset

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone! I sent a video link to a friend of mine anout the Rituximab trials and a friend of hers saw it and became fascinated my CFS. He works as a programmer for medical software, and a few days ago he asks her out of the blue if my mother was sick while pregnant with me.

It was a fairly surprising question, particularly because my mother was extremely sick before and during conception, and becoming pregnant with me is what cured her. The doctors told her I'd be born weak and have serious medical problems all my life, but I was born chubby and healthy and until the onset of CFS at age 28 I've always been very naturally healthy, rarely scarred, and healed from injury faster than almost anybody I've known.

I previously considered this to be mainly just a fact, but if it's something a really smart dude who doesn't know me all that well can extrapolate at random I feel that it could be of interest to see how it plays out in a group.

I have divided the questions by birth sex as well, because it's an easy data point and we know there's a large discrepancy between who gets this.

I also wonder if there's a correlation at all between sickness during pregnancy and type of onset.

Regarding the main question, answer yes if your mother became sick during pregnancy or was sick during conception and became well because of the pregnancy.

I think that if there's a large correlation here, and if we feel it warrants further consideration, we can then try a poll for further details among a smaller subset.

If this has already been done before, please let me know? I couldn't find anything.

Also, whatever the case, please feel free to tell your story! I'm especially interested in the age of onset and what kind of person you were before ME. Reading through stories could reveal other clues.

Neunistiva

Sick with what? ME/CFS or anything? By sick do you mean was symptomatic? There are illnesses one has, even serious one, which show no symptoms.

Are you asking about rapid or gradual onset of mother or of us with ME/CFS? Are you only interested in illnesses that started showing symptoms during pregnancy?

Last edited:
Good questions! Let me clarify:

The mother could have been sick with anything at all. Infection, bad reaction to medication, virus, whatever.

If it happened at any point during the pregnancy, or very close to the time of conception, it counts. The question behind this poll is: is it possible that the CFS/ME potential could be a genetic abnormality partly caused by a disruption in the health of the mother during pregnancy? Kind of how if you just unplug your computer it can eventually corrupt the files.

So I'm asking you, as the CFS/ME patient, about your mother's pregnancy.

:)

Neunistiva

If it happened at any point during the pregnancy, or very close to the time of conception, it counts.

Well, my mother contracted a virus several years before pregnancy and has had it for 20 years after. So it didn't happen anywhere close to pregnancy, but she carried an active virus while she was pregant. That's why I ask.

Well, my mother contracted a virus several years before pregnancy and has had it for 20 years after. So it didn't happen anywhere close to pregnancy, but she carried an active virus while she was pregant. That's why I ask.

That totally counts! Thanks for taking the time to ask for clarification!

Hotch

Hotch
I think my Mum was well but she became pregnant with me just after she lost a baby at 2 days of age. So she was grieving big time and obviously very stressed. I was born premature and so weak she was told not to let me cry and had to feed me 2 hourly. We don't know how premi I was as she never had a period after delivering the baby she lost and then falling pregnant with me. I never thought about how this may have predisposed me to me/cfs. Very interesting!