• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

[ELLE] Anecdotes used to promote O'Sullivan, complain she's being trolled

A.B.

According to a survey by the Autoimmune Diseases Association, over 45 percent of patients with autoimmune diseases have been labeled chronic complainers in the earliest stages of their illness. In addition, another AARDA survey found that it takes most autoimmune patients up to 4.6 years and nearly 5 doctors before receiving a proper autoimmune disease diagnosis.

And guess what kind of diagnosis those other four doctors are going to make (and then likely never hear from the patient again).

https://www.aarda.org/autoimmune-information/autoimmune-disease-in-women/

According to this same organization, the symptoms in autoimmune diseases tend to fluctuate a lot, are often vague and unspecific in the beginning.

Fluctuating symptoms can very easily mislead the doctor and patient into believing that some truly ineffective intervention (such as talking therapy) worked wonders when all that happened is that the disease has gone into remission for a while.

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
And guess what kind of diagnosis those other four doctors are going to make (and then likely never hear from the patient again).
I wonder if that's why such doctors think that their misdiagnosis rate is only 4% - because 96% of their patients never go back, and the doctor assumes it's because they've done a good job and everything must be fine now.

Kalliope

Not surprised she didn't make it on to the front cover of Elle magazine.
I am afraid I found that rather misogynistic, or maybe I misunderstood something? Isn't there more than enough factual mistakes to discuss here without having to criticise a person's appearance?

Edit: I do get that you are upset though over this. As am I.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was referring to her dress sense (Elle is primarily a fashion magazine). And yes anger did come into it (I didn't like the smug look on her face with her award winning book in her hands). Also, FYI I am female.

EDIT: I've deleted the post.

Last edited:

Kalliope

Sorry, I was referring to her dress sense (Elle is primarily a fashion magazine). And yes anger did come into it (I didn't like the smug look on her face with her award winning book in her hands). Also, FYI I am female.

EDIT: I've deleted the post.
Ah, I see :) Well, thank you for being so constructive about the feedback, I didn't want to pick up any fight. All good! :thumbsup:

eastcoast12

70% of patients who suffer psychsomatic illnesses are women

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around how women don't flip out when they see shit like this. Elle magazine is a woman's magazine that's basically promoting the idea that women are nuts. That is crazy. I can't understand how educated women in the god damn field of medicine accept this and I'm so confused how a woman can write a book and promote these ideas in this day and age. To me it's fucking disgraceful.
Oh wait I do understand. Money

barbc56

70% of patients who suffer psychsomatic illnesses are women

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around how women don't flip out when they see shit like this. Elle magazine is a woman's magazine that's basically promoting the idea that women are nuts. That is crazy. I can't understand how educated women in the god damn field of medicine accept this and I'm so confused how a woman can write a book and promote these ideas in this day and age. To me it's fucking disgraceful.
Oh wait I do understand. Money

That's actually a fact. But that doesn't mean it's being disrespectful Io women any more than a disease that affects more men means it's disrespectful to men.In a perfect world.

However, you make a valid point as far as how men and women are perceived when they have a disease that's more prevelant in men than women.

For the life of me, I can't think of a disease that affects more men than women other than a prostrate problem but that doesn't apply.

EDIT I just realized in a sense it does apply if you are talking about gynecological problems vs.prostate problems.

I remember going to the University health clinic in the seventies and had to have a procedure, which is now discredited, to help prevent frequent bladder infections.

I don't remember the context or how it came up but he said the reason God made women with a shorter urethra and are more prone to UTIs, is a punishment for Eve giving Adam the apple in the garden of Eden. During the exam, you could hear someone coming out of the treatment room next door. He got up, opened the door to where we were and shouted loud enough for everyone in the treatment rooms, in the hallway and probable people in the waiting room to the guy walking down the hall he had seen before me, "You smell, take a bath!" Needless to say I didn't go back. If it had happened today, I would have reported him. But I was young. Sigh!

Last edited:

eastcoast12

That's actually a fact. But that doesn't mean it's being disrespectful Io women any more than a disease that affects more men means it's disrespectful to men.In a perfect world.

However, you make a valid point as far as how men and women are perceived when they have a disease that's more prevelant in men than women.

For the life of me, I can't think of a disease that affects more men than women other than a prostrate problem but that doesn't apply.

EDIT I just realized in a sense it does apply if you are talking about gynecological problems vs.prostate problems.

I remember going to the University health clinic in the seventies and had to have a procedure, which is now discredited, to help prevent frequent bladder infections.

I don't remember the context or how it came up but he said the reason God made women with a shorter urethra and are more prone to UTIs, is a punishment for Eve giving Adam the apple in the garden of Eden. During the exam, you could hear someone coming out of the treatment room next door. He got up, opened the door to where we were and shouted loud enough for everyone in the treatment rooms, in the hallway and probable people in the waiting room to the guy walking down the hall he had seen before me, "You smell, take a bath!" Needless to say I didn't go back. If it had happened today, I would have reported him. But I was young. Sigh!

I'm not denying the fact that women have higher rates of certain diseases than men and visa versa. What I'm saying is I don't believe that the 70% of those women have a psychosomatic condition in the first place. I believe that there's a good chance those women have legitimate physiological/biological diseases that get misdiagnosed as psychsomatic because of the prevelence of the thinking that women are more succeptable to being crazy and doctors who are extremely quick to write off women's symptoms as psychological.
I'm not a huge believer in psychosomatic diagnoses. Sure, when you get nervous or something your body reacts to it but I don't buy a majority of the psychosomatic labels. It's the easy/lazy/unethical way out. Just look at how many women on this site who have been told they need to get laid more or they need to find a husband or some other bullshit to try an explain away their symptoms. I think it's Stone Age thinking and a legitimate injustice.

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
More women suffer more from autoimmune disease than men (I don't know the stats, don't have the refs on hand). Autoimmune disease, especially in its early stages, is commonly dismissed as psychosomatic or psychological (again, refs not hard to find). Psychosomatic explanations are a dead-end which harms men and women equally.

barbc56

I'm not denying the fact that women have higher rates of certain diseases than men and visa versa. What I'm saying is I don't believe that the 70% of those women have a psychosomatic condition in the first place. I believe that there's a good chance those women have legitimate physiological/biological diseases that get misdiagnosed as psychsomatic because of the prevelence of the thinking that women are more succeptable to being crazy and doctors who are extremely quick to write off women's symptoms as psychological

I may not have been clear. I absolutely agree with what you wrote. It's just such a sad state of affairs as are a lot of things about this DD.:bang-head: