• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Those who chose to limit sulfur before trying a B12 protocol...

ahmo

I continue low sulfur. I tolerate an egg, but don't find it worthwhile to add, when my body doesn't want another for weeks. I'd shifted my ammonia strategy to using malic acid only, but I just don't consider sulfur/high thiol products. I eat about 50gm meat AM/PM.

bigmillz

I continue low sulfur. I tolerate an egg, but don't find it worthwhile to add, when my body doesn't want another for weeks. I'd shifted my ammonia strategy to using malic acid only, but I just don't consider sulfur/high thiol products. I eat about 50gm meat AM/PM.

Thank you - I'm hoping to reintroduce some items (not necessarily big ones like onion, garlic, dairy, etc) now that I have some B vitamins flowing. Regardless of consensus on CBS mutations and all that, I've found I really don't tolerate sulfuric foods very well. Hoping this helps!

caledonia

I didn't have problems with sulfur foods and supps, but did have problems tolerating B vitamins. I spent 3 months doing the CBS protocol during which I discontinued sulfur foods (I wasn't doing any sulfur supps at that time), then also lowered ammonia with yucca and supported the SUOX enzyme, which detoxifies sulfur, with molybdenum. I used urine sulfate strips to monitor when the treatment was complete.

After that I was able to tolerate small amounts of B vitamins and also eat sulfur foods. Then I continued molybdenum at a maintenance dose for a couple of years. I've recently been able to discontinue it.

If you have issues with sulfur foods and supps, suspect mercury toxicity making CBS express and also blocking/depleting molybdenum causing a buildup of sulfate/sulfite.

I've heard of people on the Cutler mercury chelation protocol who limit sulfur for years because they don't know about doing CBS treatment. So it seems to me that sulfur restriction alone may not be sufficient to reduce the sulfate/sulfite stores which are causing the issue.

For more info on CBS treatment and mercury toxicity see my signature link.

bigmillz

I didn't have problems with sulfur foods and supps, but did have problems tolerating B vitamins. I spent 3 months doing the CBS protocol during which I discontinued sulfur foods (I wasn't doing any sulfur supps at that time), then also lowered ammonia with yucca and supported the SUOX enzyme, which detoxifies sulfur, with molybdenum. I used urine sulfate strips to monitor when the treatment was complete.

After that I was able to tolerate small amounts of B vitamins and also eat sulfur foods. Then I continued molybdenum at a maintenance dose for a couple of years. I've recently been able to discontinue it.

If you have issues with sulfur foods and supps, suspect mercury toxicity making CBS express and also blocking/depleting molybdenum causing a buildup of sulfate/sulfite.

I've heard of people on the Cutler mercury chelation protocol who limit sulfur for years because they don't know about doing CBS treatment. So it seems to me that sulfur restriction alone may not be sufficient to reduce the sulfate/sulfite stores which are causing the issue.

For more info on CBS treatment and mercury toxicity see my signature link.

Appreciate it! I'm not sure if it was the sulfur or not for me, but in the past, I've had trouble with B complexes making me very agitated in a matter of days. This time around, I'm also trying Douglas' B Complex, which has only P5P instead of pyridoxine, and I'm not getting a reaction. Whichever is the reason that it's going better, I'm pleased.

When you and @ahmo say you couldn't tolerate B vitamins, what were your symptoms?

caledonia

Appreciate it! I'm not sure if it was the sulfur or not for me, but in the past, I've had trouble with B complexes making me very agitated in a matter of days. This time around, I'm also trying Douglas' B Complex, which has only P5P instead of pyridoxine, and I'm not getting a reaction. Whichever is the reason that it's going better, I'm pleased.

When you and @ahmo say you couldn't tolerate B vitamins, what were your symptoms?

I was getting the classic CBS stress/anxiety reaction. Basically feeling like a very stressful week at work - tight, sore, trapezius muscles, butterflies in the stomach.

bigmillz

To be perfectly clear, yet again, none of the Yasko CBS SNPs cause this reaction or any other problems.

Hey @Valentijn, long time no chat on here!

Being only heterozygous for A360A, I'm not sold on her findings either. But I couldn't deny the fact that I felt very energized upon removing sulfur from my diet, and always felt like junk the day after a high sulfur (onions & garlic namely) meal, or after a puff of my albuterol sulfate inhaler. As I was already on a very restrictive diet from my dietician, while still having a tube full of sulfate test strips, I figured why not try an experiment and see what would happen.

Sadly, after a week or so on the low sulfur diet, the initial euphoric surge faded away. The sulfate strips showed generally lowering levels, but still swung wildly up and down at times. It's definitely not a smooth, linear drop like Yasko would lead one to expect.

I've also found people claiming they were more able to tolerate sulfuric foods upon starting a B vitamin regime. Being able to eat my favorite mediterranean plates again without feeling like crap was enough motivation for me to give it a shot, despite conflicting evidence.

I'm currently taking mB12, adB12, mFolate, and working on introducing a B complex - after which I'm considering trying sulfuric foods once again.

ahmo

When I increased B2, and separately, P5P, i felt like I was drowning in ammonia. For me, that's a sense of breathlessness, squinty eyes, head full...I've never been able to describe this more clearly. Just feeling terrible. Using supps helped relieve it, but it took a couple days. I used to use a combo of ornithine, citrulline, lysine, arginine, but then switched to malic acid only. I also get these symptoms when I'm detoxxing.

Last edited:

bigmillz

When I increased B2, and separately, P5P, i felt like I was drowning in ammonia. For me, that's a sense of breathlessness, squinty eyes, head full...I've never been able to describe this more clearly. Just feeling terrible. Using supps helped relieve it, but it took a couple days. I used to use a combo of ornithine, citrulline, lysine, arginine, but then switched to malic acid only. I also get these symptoms when I'm detoxxing.

I can relate a little, but I don't think it's ammonia in my case. I definitely overdid it in my trial during the past 5 days, waking up today with puffy eyes (puffier than yesterday), acne worsening substantially, and feeling notably weak.

Appreciate your reply.

bigmillz

After about a week and a half of trying to get a couple different types of B complexes down, I'm finding that I'm still having trouble. Mainly becoming really irritable, and it gets progressively worse every additional day I take the B complex. I don't have any external physical symptoms. I've made a few trials where this has proven true as well.

Does anyone have an opinion/knowledge on ups/downs of splitting a capsule daily versus trying a full capsule every other day? I have read elsewhere (one case) where someone who found success in improving methylation only takes a B complex weekly.

Second, is there any startup or adjustment period to a B complex like with mB12?

I've found a lot of benefit overall from the B complex, notably in terms of energy levels, and in my eyesight.

Last edited: