• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How I solved my b12 deficiency mystery

I was diagnosed B12 deficient about one year ago, my level was at that time 190 and MMA elevated to 53. My Dr. prescribed b12 tablets 1000mcg containing cyanocobalamin. But they made so sick, so I had to give them up. I started searching for the answer, and ended up in this forum.
I was beginning to feel much worse, my level went down to 140, over the next months. I tried just taking methyl B12 tablets, but every time i would get to a higher dose (500 mcg), I would crash - I mean really crash, and I have ended up in the ER a couple of times, with the most crazy heart palpitations, elevated blood pressure, cold/sweaty hands, dry mouth, vertigo, numbness in my hands and feet, low blood sugar and so on.. And the Doctors didn't have a clue what to do with me. They put me trough ultra sound scanning, CT scanner, ran every blood test in the book, and ended up sending me home with no answers.

I have tried to follow the advise from people in this forum, and I have tried supplementing with potassium - no results -(and A LOT of other supplements, spend a minor fortune, searching for the wonder supplemets) - and tried to include all of the B-vitamins - which helped a lot. In just 6 days, I was able to raise my B12 level from 140 to 210, and lower my MMA from 53 to 18, that went surprisingly fast. But I was not feeling any better. I was so exhausted and felt really sick - I thought...okay, maybe it really is the potassium missing, but again.... it did not help.
I had also been taking a mineral complex, which had also done me some good with just one a day. The bottle said to take two pr day, so when I was feeling ok with the single dose, I doubled it. I did not realize it at that time, that was making me worse. I just thought, that I might be experiencing more deficiencies, when I was beginning to correct the B12 deficiency. I knew I was also low on vitamin D, so I started to take a small dose. It made me more sick within the hour. My stomach was rumbling very loud, it hurt and my stools were completely watery. So I skipped that and continued with my B Vitamins, extra B12 and mineral complex.
On the internet I found out, that that was not a normal reaction to vitamin D, unless you had taken an extremely high dose, or if you were low on Magnesium.

Last weekend, I got so sick again, and had the phone in my hands several times, ready to call the ambulance, but after my previous experiences with the hospital, I decided that they were probably not going to be able to help me anyway. My heart was just out of control, and it was so scary. I was not able to stand on my feet, because they were shaking, and my left leg was feeling somewhat numb, the same thing with my arms and fingers, blurry vision.

That's when I started to put two and two together!! I had been taking magnesium, because my mineral complex contains it - but what I didn't realize at the time, was that there were two things wrong with it:
It was the cheap form of magnesium, Magnesium Oxide, which only allows your body to obtain 4% of it, the rest just works as laxative. And the mineral complex also contained Calcium, which I found out, is the most stupid thing to take, when low on magnesium - which 80% of the population is. It blocks the way for Magnesium.
(For more information, watch this on You Tube - Dr. Carolyn Dean, has done the most remarkable research on Magnesium
)

I then tried the Magnesium oil - and oh my good!!! I in fact cried, when I felt the effect it had on my body. It most be something like what drug addicts experience...:woot:
It was completely what my body had been crying out for. Already the next day, I was able to get out of bed. In the next days I felt how it just litterally ran through my veins filling my empty deposits, I can't describe how that feels, it is just truly amazing!!
It has now been 5 days with the magnesium oil, and today I have been cleaning the whole house, packing for summer holiday, and only feeling a little bit tired, that is huge progress for me.
My blood pressure is also improving a lot.
The Magnesium oil allows your body to obtain 35% of it, and since it bypasses your stomach, it does not have laxative effect.

Magnesium plays an important role in making Intrinsic Factor.

Vitamin D can't be properly stored in the body, if we are lacking Magnesium. It in fact plays a role in almost all of the processes that goes on in your body, and we are almost all, deficient in it, and Doctors do not know this, and your regular blood test won't tell you (the video explains why).

I think many of you guys in here are juggling with some serious amounts of supplements, especially the high amounts of potassium - in my opinion, that's playing with fire, but of course I understand your reasons for doing it, having been there myself, it is so hard to tell what are good side effects and what are bad side effects. I am not saying, that I have found a solution that fits all, but maybe this could help just one person out there.

I am just over the moon, feeling excited about finally feeling a lot better - wishing you all good luck, and a fast recovery!!

PeterPositive

maiken77 said:
They put me trough ultra sound scanning, CT scanner, ran every blood test in the book, and ended up sending me home with no answers.
Didn't they test magnesium? It's a pretty basic blood test and with heart issues such as palpitations it's not that far fetched to consider it. In fact I think they use IV magnesium at the hospital to maintain proper heart rhythm and avoid fibrillation etc...

Anyway, good to hear you've found something to get you out of bed! :)

Didn't they test magnesium? It's a pretty basic blood test and with heart issues such as palpitations it's not that far fetched to consider it. In fact I think they use IV magnesium at the hospital to maintain proper heart rhythm and avoid fibrillation etc...

Anyway, good to hear you've found something to get you out of bed! :)
Yes magnesium was tested, but the problem with that blood test is, that it is not at all accurate. You only have 1% of your magnesium in your vessels, the rest is in your tissues and cells. And that 1% is very well guarded by mechanisms in your body, since those vessels contain the magnesium needed for your heart to function.

So if the magnesium for the heart runs short, the body will pull magnesium from other places in you body, making the 1% in the blood always looking sufficient. And most Doctors are apparently completely unaware of this.
The only blood test accurate enough, is the Magnesium RBC test, which is not used, where I life.

Last edited:

junkcrap50

I then tried the Magnesium oil - and oh my good!!! I in fact cried, when I felt the effect it had on my body. It most be something like what drug addicts experience...:woot:
It was completely what my body had been crying out for. Already the next day, I was able to get out of bed. In the next days I felt how it just litterally ran through my veins filling my empty deposits, I can't describe how that feels, it is just truly amazing!!
It has now been 5 days with the magnesium oil, and today I have been cleaning the whole house, packing for summer holiday, and only feeling a little bit tired, that is huge progress for me.
My blood pressure is also improving a lot.
Glad to hear you found your missing co-factor. I've always been low in magnesium, but never tried magnesium oil. I'll have to give it a shot.
Is it the magnesium chloride?
I've never heard of magnesium chloride. How does it compare to other forms of magesium?

Glad to hear you found your missing co-factor. I've always been low in magnesium, but never tried magnesium oil. I'll have to give it a shot.

I've never heard of magnesium chloride. How does it compare to other forms of magesium?
Most of us are low, 80% of the population - that's what Dr. Carolyn Dean says anyway.
The Magnesium is different from others since it is used outside on the body, and therefore bypasses the digestion system, which means that you dont get the laxative effect - or at least only as a failsafe, if you have taken too much, but generally hard to overdose.
If you use eg. Magnesium oxide, the body will only absorb 4% of the magnesium, the rest will have laxative effect, and leave the body with your stools or urine. The Magnesium oil allows you to absorb at least 35%, meaning that you will be able to correct a deficiency in a month - that otherwise may take up to six months with other forms of magnesium.

You should really give it a try, it cant hurt you, and you will really know if it is working for you. I can also recommend this page for further information:
http://drcarolyndean.com/2012/10/when-magnesium-makes-me-worse/

You can also make your own magnesium oil - very cheap and very easy. Just search google for the receipe.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@maiken77 - I'm really happy for you! One other very valuable use for magnesium oil is for muscle pain and inflammation. e.g., from time to time I get low back pain and magnesium oil helps a lot with that. Someone recommended it to me several years ago and I've since recommended it to anyone who has back pain or any kind of muscular or tendon pain, and it works amazingly well. I apply it several times a day as needed.

@maiken77

That's awesome that you solved a big piece of your puzzle!
Are you still taking the methyl b12? How much magnesium do you find you are taking? Also, did you find the b12 caused you any symptoms suck as being wired or anxiety?

Thanks

Dechi

Thanks but there is no mention of magnesiu,, if this was intended for me.