• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

‪#‎MEAction‬ is broken and needs a Wordpress 'ninja' to help them

From their Facebook page

SHARE WIDELY: ‪#‎MEAction‬ is broken! Our site is essentially down as the menu formatting has inexplicably broken on all but the first page. http://meaction.net

We think this has something to do with a recent Wordpress update and may be fixed if we update our theme, which we are a bit nervous about doing because 1) it's a child theme and 2) there is a lot about the default theme that was modified and hacked to create #MEAction – updating may break things in new way.

We are looking for a Wordpress Ninja coder/developer who can help ASAP. Email info@meaction.net for more information

Please share widely!

I know nothing more than this, please contact them direct if you can help.

Actually I wouldn't blame Wordpress, this sort of thing is inevitable on any platform if you don't have test environments to try out updates before deploying them live, cloud backups, a system for easily rolling back to a recent backup, etc. You may get away with it for a while but eventually it will bite you and the only question is how hard it bites. Sounds like quite a lot of work will be needed here to make the setup sustainable once the immediate problem is resolved (if it's possible to resolve it - I do hope it is).

The good news is that once you have got all that infrastructure stable, much less work is required. Nobody notices really good system stability, it gets taken for granted and complacency sets in - only the problems are noticeable. But it's worth reflecting on how stable PR is now - can anyone remember the last time we were down for more than a few minutes? That doesn't happen by magic, so it's worth noting all the hard work that wdb and Adin put in to get us to where we are.

Unfortunately this may be bad timing for everyone, because wdb will be stepping down soon and we are also about to launch our own search, fairly urgently, for a new Unix/XenForo/Wordpress Sys Admin. We will also be looking to identify commercial services that we can have on hand to step in when we don't have our own volunteer techies available in an emergency. On the other hand, it might be good timing in that it might be a good prompt for the two organisations to share some resources, which is something I would like to happen to ensure that both organisations continue to exist in the long term.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
But it's worth reflecting on how stable PR is now - can anyone remember the last time we were down for more than a few minutes? That doesn't happen by magic, so it's worth noting all the hard work that wdb and Adin put in to get us to where we are.

I'd like to interrupt this thread to give a round of applause our wonderful tech support team.

:thumbsup: Bravo! :star: :trophy:

:heart: Thank you!!!! :heart:

Okay, back to the thread. I hope someone is found soon to help repair/maintain the MEAction web site. I wish I could help but most of my technical knowledge is either ancient/obsolete or forgotten.