• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody on Seroquel for sleep?

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Can you please share your experiences, does it help, dosing, etc, thanks!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I absolutely will not sleep if I don't initate sleep with a benzo. I use 50 mgs seroquel as an add on to sustain sleep. I have no problems with it but alone it wouldn't do anything for me.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Can you please share your experiences, does it help, dosing, etc, thanks!

Seroquel scares the c**p out of me. I think it led to my mother's death. She was elderly, had moderate dementia (not Alzheimer's but stroke-related) but the d**m doctors gave her an antipsychotic med despite a black box warning about using it in elderly patients. She suffered a stroke or something - she was unconscious - and was hospitalized within 24 hours of her first dose, and died a few weeks a later.

I think there are much safer alternatives for most people.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It helps with sleep but you will feel like a zombie during the day. Might be OK if you're not driving. I've been on anywhere from 25 to 100mg and can function at 25mg, but don't like to go over that due to daytime sedation. 25mg isn't enough to help with my sleep.

I think it's worth a shot. The 100mg tablets can be cut into quarters and there are 25 and 50 mg tablets if you need something in-between like 37.5mg (helps to have a pill-cutter handy).

I've also tried baclofen and it worked really well for sleep at first, but after being on it for a few weeks it stopped helping with sleep.

john66

My short experience with seroquel was stopped due to rapid weight gain and an unnatural craving for sweets. I was eating ice cream out of the carton with my hand, who has time for a spoon when you really got to shovel it in fast. A very close freind died within a week of taking it, he was 52. Sleep meds all have down sides, but not sleeping at all is the alternative, which happens too frequently for me.

cyrusromeo

Always looking for improvement
I was very leery. My husband had been prescribed something like 800 or 1000 mg for bipolar. Trazadone, to me, has minimal side effects beyond lowered blood pressure (seroquell does it too). 150-200 mg has lengthened my sleep, but doesn't get me started. U can start at a very low dose and see how u feel. Sleep is so important!