• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC PCOCA conference call on 2/23/2015 with Dr. Montoya and Dr. Unger

Countrygirl

I am being dense here, but can someone give me the link please.....or is it not possible for people in the UK to listen?

Edited to say I think this is probably not available on the internet but only by phone.:cry:

Nielk

Can anyone report back to us, please? I could not listen in because of my migraine.

nandixon

I put up some notes at https://twitter.com/primalWoman. The notes aren't great and there may be mistakes, so if anyone listened and sees any errors in my tweets could you let me know?
Something additional Dr. Montoya mentioned that I hadn't heard before - and I couldn't quite catch all he said because his accent was so heavy (although he was very articulate!) - was that they had found a 100% correlation between ME/CFS/SEID and an illness called Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS)* in some important aspect (cytokines or some other immunological profile??).

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_inflammatory_response_syndrome

searcher

Something additional Dr. Montoya mentioned that I hadn't heard before - and I couldn't quite catch all he said because his accent was so heavy (although he was very articulate!) - was that they had found a 100% correlation between ME/CFS/SEID and an illness called Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS)* in some important aspect (cytokines or some other immunological profile??).

Very interesting, I must have missed that. It would be huge news if they found that strong a correlation!

Wally

Interesting to look at possible causes of this condition.
Causes
The causes of SIRS are broadly classified as infectious or noninfectious. As above, when SIRS is due to an infection, it is considered sepsis. Noninfectious causes of SIRS include trauma, burns, pancreatitis, ischemia, and hemorrhage.[2][3][4]

Other causes include:[2][3][4]
If you go further to review "adrenal insufficiency" there is a tie in to AIDS and autoimmune thyroid conditions.
For chronic adrenal insufficiency, the major contributors are autoimmune adrenalitis (Addison's Disease), tuberculosis, AIDS, and metastatic disease.[10] Minor causes of chronic adrenal insufficiency are systemic amyloidosis, fungal infections, hemochromatosis, and sarcoidosis.[10]

Autoimmune adrenalitis may be part of Type 2 autoimmune polyglandular syndrome, which can include type 1 diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and autoimmune thyroid disease (also known as autoimmune thyroiditis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and Hashimoto's disease).[11] Hypogonadism and pernicious anemia may also present with this syndrome.

Wally

@searcher,
Thank you for taking a few notes and posting them. I was listening, while driving, so note taking was out of the question.

I was confused when I thought Dr. Montoya said there was a possibility that the illness could be contagious (? not sure if that was the word he used) in some instances, but they just do not know for sure. Did he say or mean to say that this possibility could be seen in cluster outbreaks, but not in non-epidemic cases?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I put up some notes at https://twitter.com/primalWoman. The notes aren't great and there may be mistakes, so if anyone listened and sees any errors in my tweets could you let me know?
Thanks, great!

BTW, that obnoxious news clip from KOAT 7 is my local ABC Affiliate. Local advocates have absolutely broiled the station. KOAT took the clip down very quickly, but that is NOT enough! :devil:

Sushi

searcher

@searcher,
Thank you for taking a few notes and posting them. I was listening, while driving, so note taking was out of the question.

I was confused when I thought Dr. Montoya said there was a possibility that the illness could be contagious (? not sure if that was the word he used) in some instances, but they just do not know for sure. Did he say or mean to say that this possibility could be seen in cluster outbreaks, but not in non-epidemic cases?
Happy to do so. I wish I could have taken more.

I agree it was a little confusing. It seemed like he thought it wasn't contagious except in its epidemic form, so family members/friends shouldn't be worried about catching the illness from patients. Even the epidemic form is not necessarily contagious, but I am not sure what he thinks the cluster outbreaks are (i.e. particularly virulent virus, environmental toxin, etc.)