• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

night time nausea

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.
The last few years night time nausea has been an on and off issue but in the last few months it has gotten much worse.
I now have it every night.
Anyone else have this?
Anyone have any advice?
Its not like its the only thing stopping me sleeping (leg pain, shoulder/arm unconftable pain and racing mind are all also helping with that) but this feels like something I should be abble to fix.
I've tried eating before bed, not eating before bed. a glass of milk, anti acid stuff, propping up my head, propping up my feet, lying on my side/back etc.
My dr just sort of ignored it when I mentioned it to him, and while I can find a lot of people on the internet (good old google) with night time nausea I haven't found any helpful advice.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Hormones? I get really nauseated if i don't use OTC progesterone or pregnenlone to balance my hormones. Just a thought.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Raines - I've never had nausea limited to nighttime, but I had several digestive problems several years ago and the doctors were clueless. However, my chiropractor who does muscle testing was able to help me with all of them, including toxic liver (which was causing huge problems for me), inflamed gallbladder, need for HCL with meals and a few other things. If you contact Standard Process customer service, they can give you the names of practitioners in your area who use their products and hence do this work.

Last edited:

Tired of being sick

Have you tried Gabapentin?

Gabapentin takes my nausea 100% away.

However,I still have all my other digestive problems such as bloating after meals,acid reflux(especially during sleeping hours or laying down),non regular bowel movements of never ending cycles from constipation, all the way to water then back to constipation.

Everything I've tried for the irregularities has worked perfect for a couple of days then it seems like
once my evil system learns how to combat itself from being regular, it stops and reverses the progress
in it's tracks..

Raines

Hormones? I get really nauseated if i don't use OTC progesterone or pregnenlone to balance my hormones. Just a thought.

I hadn't considered hormones, but reading the symptoms of low progesterone it ticks a lot of boxes thanks for the suggestion.

for HCL with meals and a few other things. If you contact Standard Process customer service, they can

low stomach acid also has symptoms that ring true, and also sounds like a possibility.

thank you both for the suggestions, now I have somethings in investigate and try.

Gabapentin takes my nausea 100% away.

when I search for Gabapentin it comes up as a prescription medication for epilepsy and pain - is this the one you mean?

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
My experience is that nausea is often part of PEM. Is it possible that maybe you do more than usual during the day and end up feeling sick in the evenings?

Mary

Moderator Resource
low stomach acid also has symptoms that ring true, and also sounds like a possibility.

thank you both for the suggestions, now I have somethings in investigate and try.

Have you heard of the baking soda burp test for stomach acid? Dissolve 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in 8 oz. of water and drink it ON AN EMPTY STOMACH - and if you don't burp within 2 minutes, it indicates low stomach acid. This was posted by Rich Van Konynenburg who was very knowledgable about lots of stuff (and I've seen it elsewhere as well)

If your stomach acid is low, a doctor advised taking hydrochloric acid before a meal, up to a dose where you feel "acidy" and then back off by one capsule. e.g., this is the product I take http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-hydrochloric-acid-pepsin-250-caps, and 4 capsules cause the acidy feeling so I take 3. Actually my stomach's doing a lot better than before so now only need 2. Good luck!

Raines

Have you heard of the baking soda burp test for stomach acid?

I hadn't, but now I've tried the test 2 mornings in a row and don't burp for ages, way after the cut of period. going to get some HCL tablets and try them.
Thanks for telling me of this simple test, the link you gave me is to a USA site (I'm in the UK) so I will look for a similar product.
Thank you again Mary

I still plan to get my hormones tested, as I was supprised at just how many of the symptoms I had, although many of them are similar symptoms to ME,and I'm not sure if I can count irregular periods as a symptom if I've always had irregular peioids.