• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What B12 number are you aiming for?

boo85

People here who are taking B12, what number are you aiming for (pmol/L)?

Here in Australia, the "ideal" level is over 180 pmol/L, yet in Japan it is 550.

What level do you think it should be at, or are you aiming for personally?

Would 800 - 1000 be ok?

Also, I know that this test is not the most ideal because it doesn't actually test B12 in the cells and that your body is making use of and the number your B12 comes back as could and probably is lower than the number on the test. But because it is the most common test, it's one that most people here and the general population have access to, I'm referring to that.

ahmo

Ben Lynch and others talk about how inaccurate not only the testing is, but the standards for determining levels. To get at the intracellular levels you need methyl malonic acid test, MMA. Personally, I've given up on lab tests. I self-test for dosages and go by symptoms and improvement.

Gondwanaland

While in my personal experience 180 is very low for B12, the lowest level for Japanese people is set higher than for other populations due to their higher intake of iodine.

PeterPositive

People here who are taking B12, what number are you aiming for (pmol/L)?

Here in Australia, the "ideal" level is over 180 pmol/L, yet in Japan it is 550.

What level do you think it should be at, or are you aiming for personally?

Would 800 - 1000 be ok?
Given that the serum B12 level is almost useless (besides detecting an ongoing strong deficiency) I wouldn't recommend getting too anxious about numbers.

Take also in consideration that B12 is the least toxic vitamin on earth.

I understand your concern though, when I started with the methylation supplements I was "scared" about overloading with B12 etc... Last time I checked my serum B12 was already off the roof (1200+) but I am still taking it and in higher doses than before. It keeps my batteries charged.

As far as I was able to learn from this website and other resources and studies, there's no risk of adverse effects using high dose B12 for long times. Just stay away from the cyano-cobalamin form.

cheers

Martial

My tests frequently showed over 2000+ which is the max testing range, of course supplements and stuff could make readings higher then what could be actually processed and used. I looked extensively like Peter mentioned and could find no harm from high dose vitamin b12 over time in the methyl/hydroxy form. Just be sure to watch out for other deficiencies from taking high doses of one vitamin.

PennyIA

I'd also argue that low B12 levels are useful information but high b12 levels are useless. I took cyanocobalamin for YEARS and my b12 numbers came back extremely high ... but my symptoms were worse on it than before I started to take it.

Now that I've switched to methylcobalamin and OTHER methylation supplements, my numbers are still high, but my symptoms tend to fluctuate -for the first time in years though - I have periods of relief that I never got on cyanocobalamin.

PeterPositive

I'd also argue that low B12 levels are useful information but high b12 levels are useless. I took cyanocobalamin for YEARS and my b12 numbers came back extremely high ... but my symptoms were worse on it than before I started to take it.

Now that I've switched to methylcobalamin and OTHER methylation supplements, my numbers are still high, but my symptoms tend to fluctuate -for the first time in years though - I have periods of relief that I never got on cyanocobalamin.
Interesting. I think you're right about the low B12 being significant.

Serum level is probably the final alarm for a serious deficiency... first you get symptoms but no explanations, finally when you're fully depleted the doc sees the labs and realizes it! :rolleyes:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Like others, I'd go with the MMA as being much more significant than B12 serum levels. I have had it in the past but now I don't measure, just go with my doc's prescription.

Sushi

ahmo

@boo85 If I recall correctly:rolleyes:, the MMA was going to be about $250 at my expense. I'd had several other lab tests, then a couple weeks later got a call from lab asking whether I wanted to go ahead with this. By that time I was quite clear on the direction I needed to take, and declined to go ahead. I'm reasonably certain that this was MMA. Check w/ your GP. It was no trouble getting it ordered. My GP has ordered anything I've asked for. that's about the only use I've gotten from him.

caledonia

MMA and a new test called holotranscobalamin are supposed to be more accurate, because you can see what's going on in the cells, not just what's in the blood. See my signature link B12 article #2 by Chris Kresser.

Yasko also uses the cobalt levels on a Doctor's Data Urine Essential Elements test. As an example, while my serum B12 is 800, which is right smack dab in the middle of normal, my cobalt levels are below detection limit! I have many symptoms of B12 deficiency, along with MTR and MTRR, the "B12 double whammy", so that would fit with B12 deficiency.

Yasko likes to see people with a black line across the page for cobalt - so that would be 100%.