• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation calmness ?

vortex

I am up to 5 mg methylfolate and feeling a noticeable calm effect.

I didn't think I had anxiety but now not so sure.

Is it from serotonin production ?

PeterPositive

Many people find that methyl-folate or methyl-B12 makes them more wired. Did you both had this problem too when starting the supplements or did you simply notice an improvement of the anxiety as you raised the dosage?

So far I have had some problem with extra anxiety from those supplements but after some time they settled. I've not yet found a truly calming effect, which would be welcome, but they help with mental clarity and focus.

When I feel "amped up" I usually take 250mg of GABA. That usually does the trick.

Thanks

vortex

I don't know the mechanism, but as I increased B12/folate I found a calm I'd always been pursuing, and eventually an end to life-long insomnia.:sleep:
Well it probably is serotonin then, because serotonin pathway converts into melatonin which puts you to sleep.
How much methylfolate do you take.

vortex

Many people find that methyl-folate or methyl-B12 makes them more wired. Did you both had this problem too when starting the supplements or did you simply notice an improvement of the anxiety as you raised the dosage?

So far I have had some problem with extra anxiety from those supplements but after some time they settled. I've not yet found a truly calming effect, which would be welcome, but they help with mental clarity and focus.

When I feel "amped up" I usually take 250mg of GABA. That usually does the trick.

Thanks
Well if higher amounts of methylfolate can recycle bh4 and bh4 generates neuotransmitters I guess it could be a crapshoot or random effect if you get either calming neuros like serotonin or excitatory neuros like adrenaline. I guess it could go either way.
Perhaps you could steer production by adding serotonin precursors like tryptophan or 5 htp.

shah78

Methylation took away a huge chunk of anxiety. I've never slept deeper(or atleast until I added pre/'probiotics). Of course it isn't surprising: I have almost the same snps as ahmo. The Yasko" clones" are on to something.

LisaGoddard

Methylation also made me much calmer and sleep better. I tried reducing the treatment (due to the expense) and the symptoms of anxiety returned. So I upped them again, and it went.
Certainly, works well for me.

ahmo

@PeterPositive I can't recall any increased anxiety as I continued on gradually increasing my dosages. And at some point it became evident I was now going to sleep promptly, and able to return to sleep easily if I awoke. Life-time firsts.

Occasionally adding Mfolate gave me fairly immediate sense of restlessness, itchiness. When this happened I immediately took 1 mg B12, and the symptoms stopped just as quickly. I had this happen several times at bedtime, put the B12 in mouth and went to sleep. Amazing. This is the point at which Dr. Ben Lynch would advise niacin to slow things down, but I've been thrilled w/ the B12 solution. I worked up in 200mcg doses of folate, currently stabilized on 15mg Mfolate, 20mg MB12, 3.3mg AdB12.

vortex

I just found this old post of mine, kind of eery. I screwed up and stopped taking the methylfolate for some reason that I cant recall.
I am not sure why, if I was feeling calm and good, why would I stop taking it ?

I did continue to take methylb12 injections and I think I ended up really depleting my methylfolate by doing this and started to really go downhill.

I was taking a multi b vitamin that supposedly had 800mcg of methylfolate in it but I just took a single 1mg methylfolate and can feel a big difference.

It taught me to really be careful about balancing these and taking them both in similar quantities otherwise you deplete one or the other.

Anyway, I am back on it and wondering how I would feel on even higher doses.

I am going to work up to 10-15 mg. and see what happens.

vortex

ugh a year later I found my post again. I am trapped in some sort of time warp loop.
I have been taking 1mg a day for years, but wondering why I stopped taking 5mg.
if I was feeling so calm. Oh, well I guess I will ramp back up to 5mg.

I wonder if you ever not have to go through overmethylation when you re-escalate the dose??

Kathevans

I've found it easier to go up and down at this point--having bounced between 400/800mcg/day of folate up to 20mg and back again. I'm currently taking about 16mg. In the end, though, it hasn't resolved my sleep problems. My hunch at this point is that that symptom may have to do with mercury or some other metal toxicity, which I'm slowly addressing my having amalgams removed and so on...

And on...

And on...