• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! how much niacin to shut down methylation?

Can anyone tell me how much niacin one must take to shut down methylation? I am very sensitive to supps, so I don't want to take any more than absolutely necessary.

Also, does anyone know if the niacinamide form will work?

TIA!

Thank you for your fast response! Unfortunately my legs are too weak for me to drive and walk anywhere so I kind of have to make do with the niacinamide that I already have in my house. I'm hoping someone else will have the answer. Thanks though!

ahmo

I don't have the answer. But I've used a different strategy. When I feel symptoms after increasing methylfolate, I pop a B12 into my gum. When this happened last night I noticed that the symptoms were relieved immediately. I've been doing this only, never used B3. I then stay at whatever total this additional B12 has brought me to. cheers, ahmo

Wow! I'm so glad you've found something that works for you ahmo. Unfortunately, my problem is low potassium, probably brought on by injudicious eating (I didn't realize how high liver is in B12). So I need to slow/stop the potassium loss, and for me at least, b12 just speeds it up :(

PeterPositive

Can anyone tell me how much niacin one must take to shut down methylation? I am very sensitive to supps, so I don't want to take any more than absolutely necessary.
Very difficult to answer. There's no number that applies to every one.
Dr. Bench Lynch suggests 200-250mg max of niacin daily, which may already be too much if you already have a slow methylation.

Also, does anyone know if the niacinamide form will work?
Yes, it does.

TheChosenOne

I am new to this; could anyone tell me why you would shut down methylation?
I don't think you would ever want to shut down methylation.
I used to take niacinamide to 'fix' COMT mutations and relieve anxiety. It made me very depressed and I stopped doing that.