• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Car and other cushion recommendations?

Does anyone knows a good way to support my head, neck, and upper back in the car? The head rest is more than useless, it pushes me into an unnatural posture, and the upper back of the car chair doesn't give any support. I have lost the proper curves in my spine and have bad curves, so this increases the problem. I've tried bed pillows, neck pillows, a firm light back cushion, and a dense back cushion.

I am also still searching for a good seat cushion for car and office chair, and benches at stores. So there is less strain on my back. I have a gel wheelchair cushion which is too firm and an air cushion that's good but seems bad after an hour or two. I ordered a third air cushion, which may work, but I think my back doesn't do well with them.

I keep searching and giving up, but I know the right cushion would help a lot :(

aimossy

you may be able to get hold of certain grades of foam or gel cushions through rehab equipment and wheelchair companies but im not in usa so cost and processes will surpass any knowledge I have and they can be expensive.

what is your most comfortable position sitting do you prefer being reclined than sitting up mesci this is what I find for me. im just trying to think what support options there are but that's based specifically on how you like to sit what your car seat looks like and what you need it to be doing.is the lumbar support in the car overly accentuated?

im trying to think if there are overlays for car seats you can also get from automotive companies.
sometimes you can recline a car seat by some degrees and then try put support/cushioning for the top half of the seat and then your left figuring the head support from there.

probably useless thoughts maybe.

aim
:)

im trying to think if there are overlays for car seats you can also get from automotive companies.

I wish they would have different seat options. Of course they would charge $500 or $1000 just for that, I'm sure.

A quick search brought up an Aussie mattress company that makes overlays for car seats. Sort of like a thin memory foam mattress. It looked like a person could get one for a bed and cut it smaller. May be worth a try.

Regarding your questions it is hard to put into words, but like an S shape behind my head to upper back would be good, and the seat is like a C, which is opposite. So each part feels wrong.

aimossy

could be a cheap option cutting to fit your needs. Some eldercare out fits have odd things that might fit the bill too. Sometimes they are priced not as badly....sounds like and awkward shape of seat that needs better contouring somehow.:)
edit: quite a lot popped up when I put car seat cushion in the google search.

Last edited:

xchocoholic

I lost my post. rats.

I use a massaging cushion that i got from Walmart. The curves mold nicely to my back and neck. The massaging function isn't working as well now that it's older so I'm not plugging it in.

I found the cheap ones worked as well as the more expensive ones. Finding one that is comfortable for your back is what counts.

The one with the seat cushion attached wasn't as comfortable for me. I bought a separate foam wedge to sit on but had to keep replacing it because it wore down quickly. Now my car seat has enough coosh.

I used to carry ice packs is a cooler too.
These need to be the right size and shape your your body too. I tried using the hard packs like a friend of mine was but those just caused more pain. I need the softer ice packs. Even frozen peas were uncomfortable.

tc ... x

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I don't drive so don't kow if my solution would work in a driving position. I put a pillow on the car seat 1/3rd of it folded up onto the back part, I then put a cushion over the part pillow on the seat back , this supports the lower back and makes me hold my upper spine in a better position, the upper part of the seat meets the back to support it.
Dont forget the head rest is only to catch your head if you have an accident - or so I always thought, I've never used them to actually rest my head on...........
It is trial and error. but when you get it right feel like you've won the lottery!! - anyone who gets a lift in our car is told quickly not to move the seat position, but we have a template just in case - my husband's not only a surveyor but a perfectionist too:)

peggy-sue

I tend to end up with the seat reclined as far back as I can get it, then I put my feet up on the dashboard, with a cushion under my back to prop me into a vaguely supported position.

It's not very comfortable. :rolleyes:

I'm asking for being a passenger not driver :) I've been using a memory foam (bed) pillow folded. It's okay but sometimes I hope I can get a better cushion.

I put a pillow on the car seat 1/3rd of it folded up onto the back part, I then put a cushion over the part pillow on the seat back , this supports the lower back and makes me hold my upper spine in a better position, the upper part of the seat meets the back to support it.

What type of cushion do you put over the pillow? That may be what I need. How do you make the pillow and cushion stay in the proper spots?

I use a massaging cushion that i got from Walmart. The curves mold nicely to my back and neck. The massaging function isn't working as well now that it's older so I'm not plugging it in.

I tried one of those massagers with heat with the seat attached, I agree with you that the seat part isn't comfortable.

I guess you mean one of these, or I think they have one or two more choices.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Relaxzen-Memory-Foam-Massage-Cushion-Black-Mesh/10795136
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Massage-Lumbar-Massager-Black/21108343
I may try one of those. I have an older non-massaging back cushion sort of like that but memory foam sounds better.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@SickOfSickness
I got a union jack felt cushion - rectangular shape (from tkmaxx last year) really firm inner - place long ways from the passenger door towards the driver

xchocoholic

I didn't see the exact same one on the walmart link but it's the one that has separate areas. The separate areas work better for supporting my whole back.
Mine has 3 massaging sections too. Neck / shoulders, mid back and lower back. And the massage intensity level can be adjusted.

I thought mine was about $50 back when I got it. It's been several years now.